getting ready for a hatchling

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
The only ones I know of for sure are lightning bugs. They are toxic.

You can't go wrong with pill bugs, earthworms, roaches, slugs and snails as far as things you might find outside. If you have a bit of outdoor space you can lay down a piece of wood or even cardboard, keep it damp underneath and check it when you are ready to feed. There will usually be something on a box turtles diet underneath.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Wow, its been a long journey, eh? Looking good. Is it exploring its new environment or mostly hiding?

Ignacio

29G tank, substrate is top soil and coconut coir, i put organic moss for easy hiding, UVB bulb (no MVB as suggested), zoo med undertank heater in one side, terra-cotta water dish, a big clam shell or a smaller terra-cotta dish for food (i have both),

I also have a couple cave shaped pieces of coral that i will boil tomorrow before pitting them in the tank as additional hiding options.

My original design for the set up was way cooler and more complicated but since I'm moving soon...ish i decided to keep it simple for now. But I will walk to the beach when i have time to look for rocks and other cool decorations than i will use later on.

Ignacio

Wow, its been a long journey, eh? Looking good. Is it exploring its new environment or mostly hiding?
so far mostly hiding, he/she soaked itself once but when he noticed i was there looking he disappeared again. I don't think he has eaten at all yet, hopefully soon.
I was concerned the water dish was too tall for the lil dude but he got out with almost no difficulty at all.

Ignacio

Look like it's off to a good start, have you weighed it yet? My 2 newest ones started out at 7 and 8 grams. Yours looks a little bigger
I haven't, I ordered a scale online but as usual UPS "delivered" it and left the package outside my apartment building so it magically walked away by itself and amazon said that since this isn't the first time i report something not being delivered to me they will contact me once they determine if they will replace it or not :-/

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
That's good news! I think that indicates you have a healthy turtle if its willing to explore a little even though it's in a new environment. They can often be a little timid when moved to a new place.