getting ready for a hatchling

Ignacio

Hi, not that new to adult care of torts but I’m planning on getting an Eastern BT hatchling from ATC (research done please don’t share your experiences with them if you already did somewhere else in the forum, chances are I already read them and wont be adding any new information). I already read the care sheets and did the search tool here in the forum as well as Google (so please don’t send me to read them as I already did and still have some questions) I’m here asking to learn from your personal experiences. Well my concern is that it is going to be my first hatchling and there’s so much conflicting info about babies, also it is going to be by first omnivorous and semi-aquatic turtle.

My questions are:

When I got Maxx (adult Russian) a friend gave me a 29 gallon tank, I never used it because it is way too small plus I read about bad air circulation and how they raise humidity too much for Russians. Well I had found conflicting info about how what makes it bad for torts might actually benefit babies, because it prevents air drafts and maintains humidity for hatching. Is this correct? If so, would the baby be ok for the 1st year in there or too small even for a hatchling? Or should I already build a larger enclosure? ‘Im trying to be practical about space (I live in an apartment) and if he will be safe in the tank for a year I rather wait in building another enclosure.

About the food, I have read so much yet still stressing about proper feeding of an omnivorous, protein needing, baby BT. Any personal favorites to feed babies from people who has successfully raised them from babies? Any greens I feed Maxx and I shouldn’t feed the baby BT? I feed him a variety of greens like spring mix (from the store and growing my own), leaves (guava, grape, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, rose, hibiscus, pumpkin, cucumber, peels too from cucumber), flowers (hibiscus, mallow, rose, pumpkin), weeds, aloe and other succulents, wheat grass, and I think that’s all I have available in my balcony, another reason why NEED a backyard my fruit trees need a lot of cutting to keep small but at least all the leaves I cut with the branches don’t go to waste, while others aren’t liking the containers and not growing well so I need a yard to plant them and let them thrive. Any of those I shouldn’t feed? All my reading says they are good but decided to ask any way. Also are all these fruits safe to feed? Obviously I don’t feed the fruit to Maxx but to the BT. Also what about peaches? I know the leaves are toxic but the fruit I love them and always have some in the fridge (just making sure). Feeder guppies? Also found conflicting info about low fat dog and cat food, some say its really bad for them while others swear its healthy in small amounts, I’m asking about personal experiences and not so much asking for the classic answer “well I never done it but don’t think its worth the risk” I know that and unless a very experience member says he/she has done it and raised a healthy adult from a baby then I wont do it, no need to create multiple spam replies saying that you don’t know but you think.

Is the heat/UVB convo bulb going to work for a hatchling? I also read conflicting info about the appropriate heat source and UVB for babies. Some say it should be the same as for an adult while other say no UVB for hatchlings at first.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as I start setting up and even more once the little one gets here.

Thank you and sorry if I sound rude by asking not to give irrelevant and repeated information over and over but I posted this thread primary to gather information to learn how to raise a healthy BT and not so much for a conversation, I will create other threads and reply to others with the only expectation of socializing (like in my introduction post for example) but I like to separate business from pleasure haha. Just trying to be as prepared as possible and have the set up ready so I can get that baby and help him grow healthy.

Again thank you in advance for the help and sorry I swear I’m a nice person lol (well most the time :p )

Ignacio

@ColleenT thank you so much I had already read that and I agree it is very helpful and informative :)

Anyone has any advice on the tank? is a 29 gallon big enough for a hatching to yearling? is the airflow adequate?
Articles are awesome but so many that contradict each other so I'm more interested in you guys' personal experiences, thanks in advance.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
@ColleenT thank you so much I had already read that and I agree it is very helpful and informative :)

Anyone has any advice on the tank? is a 29 gallon big enough for a hatching to yearling? is the airflow adequate?
Articles are awesome but so many that contradict each other so I'm more interested in you guys' personal experiences, thanks in advance.
Yes and yes, I've raised several 3 toed hatchlings and on into their yearling age in a tank of that size

Ignacio

thank you so much, the tank was my primary concern. Now that I heard from someone who has successfully done it multiple times I feel better about using it. I will set it up, contact ATC and i will buy the baby the first or second week of October. Giving me time to prepare with more plants (small fruit plants and bushes) as well as getting a small pill bug breeding container started and get some earth worms from the bait shop just to be ready before he/she gets here. Im still a little stressed about the feeding but it will pass once i start doing it.

Ignacio

They are so adorable, unfortunately you are too far or I'd say I'd get one (or 2) from you

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
thank you so much, the tank was my primary concern. Now that I heard from someone who has successfully done it multiple times I feel better about using it. I will set it up, contact ATC and i will buy the baby the first or second week of October. Giving me time to prepare with more plants (small fruit plants and bushes) as well as getting a small pill bug breeding container started and get some earth worms from the bait shop just to be ready before he/she gets here. Im still a little stressed about the feeding but it will pass once i start doing it.
Sounds fantastic!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see nothing wrong with using an aquarium for baby turtles and tortoises. I prefer to use the plastic tubs because they're cheaper, but since you already have the aquarium, that's pretty darn cheap already!

Here's how I start my baby box turtles:

Baby Box Turtle 05-09-14 b.jpg

...but an aquarium works just as well.

I also have a few tortoise hatchlings, so I always have veggies and greens on hand. I chop up the greens into tiny pieces. I also chop up some fruit into tiny pieces. I mix it all together and put a clump on a piece of tile, then I add something that wiggles to the top of the pile...pin head crickets, cut up night crawlers, etc. The baby gets a taste of the greens and fruit as he's biting at the wiggly food item and he eventually eats it too.

Another trick I learned is to add black worms or frozen blood worms to the soaking water every morning.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome to the forum Ignacio! You obviously have done your research. With that and the tips the experienced members have added to your thread you are well on your way to success. Don't stress over the feedings. If you keep a damp, warm baby turtle the eating will fall in line eventually. Don't worry if it doesn't happen right away when you first get it, just be sure the environment is right. I have raised baby ebt's from the egg in plastic tubs similar in size to your tank and they thrived.

Ebt's love peaches! They can have all the pill bugs you can raise, put them in the tank and the turtle will hunt for them. The only drawback there is you won't have the entertainment value of watching them eat as you may not be watching at the right time. Pill bugs give a good crunching sound. I fed my babies small earthworms, thawed frozen blood worms, well rinsed adult brine shrimp, even krill. Visit your local pet store and look in the freezer, good stuff there.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I raised my baby boxies in a tank. It's great for humidity. No mvb though, use a strip light uvb. I provided it for hatchlings. Just don't make the tank overly bright. Mine liked to eat red wigglers and soaked reptomin sticks.

Ignacio

I raised my baby boxies in a tank. It's great for humidity. No mvb though, use a strip light uvb. I provided it for hatchlings. Just don't make the tank overly bright. Mine liked to eat red wigglers and soaked reptomin sticks.

why no MVB? I read that a lot but haven't found whats the reason

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
why no MVB? I read that a lot but haven't found whats the reason
It's too intense for box turtles.. though they do bask some, they are not the sun worshippers that many tortoise species are.

Ignacio

what do you guys think about buying from craigslist? good or bad idea? is it like buying a puppy from CL where you are supporting backyard breeder? or since hatching eggs is not as easy as breeding dogs that means the breeder is actually knowledgeable about torts?

I came across this which is only a 2 hr drive instead of the stress of overnight shipping (also my parents live one town over so I could visit for the weekend and get the baby on my way back). And I thought maybe this could be a member here or at least some could tell me what species or subspecies they are? Gulf, 3 toe? here's the link https://stockton.craigslist.org/pet/5797335483.html

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
what do you guys think about buying from craigslist? good or bad idea? is it like buying a puppy from CL where you are supporting backyard breeder? or since hatching eggs is not as easy as breeding dogs that means the breeder is actually knowledgeable about torts?

I came across this which is only a 2 hr drive instead of the stress of overnight shipping (also my parents live one town over so I could visit for the weekend and get the baby on my way back). And I thought maybe this could be a member here or at least some could tell me what species or subspecies they are? Gulf, 3 toe? here's the link https://stockton.craigslist.org/pet/5797335483.html
Those adults look to be 3 toed box turtles. I would have no problem getting a turtle from CL.

Ignacio

hey guys, one last question about food in here i promise.
I was replacing a fence in my parents house this weekend and saw so many insects (mostly little black beetles), is there some kind of backyard insects i should not feed?
I am finally getting a baby today, Ill post a photo after i get back home tonight or tomorrow