Getting ready for winter- New Tort Room!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Doors are up, heat units are in, humidity is good, grow station is booming!
Once we put the doors on to keep the furry terrors (aka, the cats) out I was finally able to start growing some winter food. Need to get a few more trays of grass going & bring in my potted mulberry tree yet. Here it is, please let me know if you all have any tips for indoor gardening (I have never had many plants ) or if you have any other "food" options I should try.
Got: two types of thistle, chicory, mallow, dandelion, two types of plantain, cactus, hibiscus, and broad leaf seed mix & African grazer mix.
For: 13 month Sulcata & one moody Russian :) IMG_5531.JPGIMG_5534.JPG IMG_5535.JPG The moody russian, Martha.IMG_5540.JPG

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Awesome!! I am currently working on my Tortle Room.. Lol!! Can you tell me about your indoor garden, I need to set one up but do not know where to begin!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Awesome!! I am currently working on my Tortle Room.. Lol!! Can you tell me about your indoor garden, I need to set one up but do not know where to begin!

Really all I did was bought up every clearance planter I could find, plus saved a bunch from landscaping this year, & then I transplanted a bunch of weeds from my yard! I have two tortoisesupply.com seed mixes growing & a cactus pad I bought off amazon. The grow station cam from My father in law who is an auction junkie & he wasn't using it so gave it to me for a pineapple upside down cake :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Is your sully staying indoors too?
That's an awesome planter station, if only my torts weren't so greedy, I should something plants too:p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see you have a turtle stool for all day viewing. Years ago, way, way back in the dark ages, when I got my first aquarium, my husband made me a stool so I could sit in front of the aquarium and watch the fish. I think I may have seen a little more action in the fish aquarium than what you're going to see in a tortoise habitat, though.

It's a great space and you've done a very nice job.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thanks @Yvonne G ! It was made by my father in laws dad & was given to me when he passed. Its my sitting stool & my short stool so I can reach in there if need be :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Is your sully staying indoors too?
That's an awesome planter station, if only my torts weren't so greedy, I should something plants too:p

Shes indoors for now. She is only 13 months and 7" She will be in for the winter. She likes hay cubes already so I will feed her those, some store greens (yuck, I know) and then supplement with the grass & such I am growing here.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Could the seed mixes thrive in just a window sill? I'm looking at trying indoor growing for the first time. I'm used to outdoor gardening. I'm looking at the testudo seed mix to start from tortoise supply.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
She looks amazing! Some storebought greens aren't that bad, like kale, could actually be healthy for your torts :D

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Could the seed mixes thrive in just a window sill? I'm looking at trying indoor growing for the first time. I'm used to outdoor gardening. I'm looking at the testudo seed mix to start from tortoise supply.

I imagine they would but, I really am no gardener. I started them using a cheapo florescent plant light from walmart. It worked fine & was only ten $