getting ready for winter

pierreflores

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
I have built an area for my tortoise in the garage and was wondering if its good enough l and can I just put a small heater nearby. Also does my tortoise look healthy not sure if his shell is forming right. He is three years old. Why is his head yellow? is it normal?He is very active.

WP_20151003_17_45_32_Pro.jpg WP_20151003_17_46_14_Pro.jpg WP_20151003_17_46_14_Pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
I am sure some more experienced keepers will reply soon. Just as a beginner, I would say that you need much more plant cover and at least two hiding places for your tort. It is also generally recommended to have two soaking areas. Your heater being suitable very much depends on the average temperature your garage will be at through the colder weather. To me his coloration looks normal- redfoots generally do have coloration on their heads.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding-ii-the-leopards.18931/

That is a link to a thread (and in that thread is another link) about pyramiding in tortoises, which it appears your tort may have a slight case of.

I hope some more experienced keepers will jump in soon!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a very nice enclosure, however, I'm thinking it's going to be way too cold during the winter for that tortoise. Unless the temperature of your whole garage is in the upper 70's - 80's, he won't be warm enough. That open enclosure might be ok for a mediterranean species, but the RF tortoise needs to be in the 80's and humid.

Also, if that light is a UVB light, sitting it on the screen is causing the UVB rays to be filtered out. The rays don't penetrate through the screen.

Try to figure out a way to get the overall temperature of the habitat up into the 80's and I think you're home free. It's a very nice enclosure if only you can figure out how to heat it.

It's common for most RF tortoises to have yellow heads.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I think Yvonne nailed it!

Check out closed chambers, it's a great way to retain heat and humidity.