Getting Ready/Timing to Set Up?

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hi All,

I'm expecting my tortoise late May or later.

How soon should I set up an enclosure with soil, etc. When should I buy lights and heat? Decor etc?

Thanks.

Terri

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think once you know what species you're getting, you can read the appropriate care guide, and start prepping and gathering the enclosure.

Jamie

Quixx66

Louisiana
I think once you know what species you're getting, you can read the appropriate care guide, and start prepping and gathering the enclosure.

Jamie
I’m getting a small subspecies of the Hermann’s.

I’ve read the care sheets, just want to know how long in advance people prepare.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I set up my enclosure a few days ahead of time, to make sure everything worked, that I actually had everything, and to get the heat and humidity and lighting all humming along as they're supposed to ....

Jamie

Quixx66

Louisiana
I set up my enclosure a few days ahead of time, to make sure everything worked, that I actually had everything, and to get the heat and humidity and lighting all humming along as they're supposed to ....

Jamie
Thanks, Jaime.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I setup my enclosure about a week before I got my tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can start assembling things now, a bit at a time - spread it out so it's not such a big last minute $$$ outlay.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Make sure you read the caresheets for your tort species. Should you not able to provide the required condition in order to let it thrive, consider getting another species of tortoise. Just remember that the enclosure must have a cool side, warm side and a basking spot. All of them would do well with a hide.
Instead of me possibly spitting wrong info since I'm not a too experienced tortoise keeper, here is something very fruitful for people that are considering buying a tortoise:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/