Getting worried with new hatchling...food/shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreaT

5 Year Member
I just got my leo hatchling on Sunday. He is very very small (smaller than the palm of my hand).

I have a Repitsun 10.0 long bulb, along with a 100w regular bulb for heat (temps around 90 on the warm side). He is in a 40 gal breeder tank for now. Substrate is Plantation Soil. I am not sure what the humidity is as I don't have a hydrometer (one is on it's way in the mail). I also have the Powersun 100w MVB on it's way. I mist the enclosure several times a day.

He wouldn't open his eyes after I brought him home so I've been soaking him average twice a day 30-45 minutes at a time. His eyes always open during the soak.

My concerns: He hasn't eaten to my knowledge since I've brought him home. I've offered endive, escarole, spring mix, dandelion. I've yet to see him eat.

My other concern: I just put him back on the food plate after a bath and noticed his shell underneath is getting soft. This is the first time I've noticed this and now I'm worried sick.

I've sprinkled calcium with D3 on his food but if he isn't eating then I don't know what to do. I need advice. Please help me.

Here's a pic to show how small he is.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Sorry to hear that, they can go downhill quickly as we have seen here many times before. I would start a baby food and bird vitamin soak. It needs calcium and sunshine my 2 new baby leos right now get a hour of sunshine everyday ( weather permitting) of course if they are not eating then you obviously can't get it into them. Can you give them access to real sunshine? I noticed my baby leos love dandelion flowers, do you have access to them? For now soak and baby food and bird vitamins are the best options I can see, of course a vet visit would help.

As a comparison your guy actually looks bigger than mine, mine are just 2 months old now.

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Also, try feeding him right after his soak. Don't put the calcium on his food and see if he will eat it then. I know the calcium I have has a very strong scent and if yours is the same it might be turning him off from wanting to eat. Sit and watch him eat, if he starts to walk away move him back to the food. I had the same problem with my RF hatchling when I got her. Once I got her eating regularly, then I started adding the calcium. Hope you get your little guy eating and healthy.

AndreaT

5 Year Member
Is there any chance that frequent baths are contributing to the soft shell too? I'm bathing a lot because of the dehydration symptoms and closed eyes.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Not likely, I would do the soaks maybe once or twice a day but no more than that.

AndreaT

5 Year Member
Ok. I've done two so far today. One in the morning and one when I got home from work (with baby food mixed in). I'll wait til the morning for the next.

Tomorrow I'll bring him outside for some sunshine.

I'm just very very sad right now. And I feel duped too (by the seller). :(

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Well you should feel angry at the seller,more than likely your tortoise was kept dry for far to long. The baby food soaks are designed to keep it's strength up and hopefully with sunshine should start to improve.

AndreaT

5 Year Member
I'm definitely angry too. We've had good experiences with this expo as my boyfriend has two very healthy diamondback terrapins he got there and I have a gorgeous 3 year old bearded dragon who is perfect.

I just think this seller was not that knowledgeable and probably just wanted a quick buck. He was the only Leo she had. Afterwards we went to the North American Reptile Breeders conference in Tinley Par, IL and had I known prior to purchasing my hatchling I would have waited (we were told about it in the parking lot after we left the expo). They had some older Leo's there that looked very healthy and were eating well.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Keep doing what you're doing... soaking and trying to feed him. Find something tasty to get him to eat? I think it's normal for a hatchling to have a soft shell. I hope he starts feeling better.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
:(
Sorry to hear that.
Sellers often do try to get a quick buck, but thankfully the great ones are on here, and they can answer your questions ;)
The soaks won't make the shell soft, it is from bad lighting, bad food choices, not enough calcium, etc. I suggest letting your tortoise out around an hour and a half or so, and see if he will eat outside (just offer, if he doesn't take it try again inside) Hope he's ok :)!

AndreaT

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and well wishes. I'm going to think positive and hope everything works out. Tomorrow he and I will spend some time outside. Will be in the 70s here outside Chicago. Record temps for us this time of year (87 today!) so I will take advantage of that.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Did you get the seeler contact info? get more info about the age and if and what it was eating.. do you have a few kibble of mazuri to try? soak it and see if it eats that.
I think breeders sell way to early.. my opinion... esp if buyer is a new owner...

AndreaT

5 Year Member
No, no seller info. She just had a table at Scott's all animal expo in Wheaton, IL. I did ask what it ate, she said the grassland bites from Zoomed and greens. I don't have any Mazuri but I will probably get some.

I think it was probably too early to be sold too. I let my desire to own the sweet little guy overtake everything else. I know I had the lighting because I had a painted turtle that just passed away and I didn't know where else to find a tortoise so when I saw him I fell in love.

I'm hoping for the best. I soaked him in warm water with baby food (carrot) this morning. When I get home from work we will go outside as long as the predicted storms stay away. I will do all I can to save him.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
He looks very sweet. It sounds like you are trying your best to get him back on the path to being healthy. I will keep him in my thoughts.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Well, u could add some calcium powder into the water when soaking, it can take in the calcium through the skin...

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I hope he gets better! Have you tried mashing up some optunia cactus fruit? Walter is a different kind of tortoise but it's his absolute favorite. When I first got him and he wouldn't eat I gave him kale that I had crushed so he could smell it, if it worked for Walter it might work for your little guy.

M

Maggie Cummings

I would give him babyfood soaks twice a day. Add bird vitamins to all soaking water. Cut the food up really small. Offer him cactus and Mexican Gray squash cut really small. Or Acorn squash softened in the microwave. If you have sun take him outside and let him graze for a while. UVB is needed now. Good luck, keep us posted...

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
For future references, I would never buy(or sell for that matter) a tortoise that has absolutely no growth rings. It is safe to say that is a very young hatchling. Sometimes there are weak hatchlings that no matter what you do for them, they just don't make it. I wish you the best.

Scott

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
What do you mean by "getting soft"?
If you lightly push on it, does it give like softened butter in a ziplock bag or does it give like a plastic lid-where the entire plastron gives a bit? I hope that makes sense;)
Also when soaking for 30-45 mins, do you change the water to make sure it's always warm?
I would also give a little calcium in canned pumpkin purée-no spices added. They usually love that.
You could even chop greens really small to mix in.

Status
Not open for further replies.