Giant sulcata

Pac-Man

Location (City and/or State)
Purvis mississippi
I have a giant sulcata I was thinking of selling but didn't know exactly how much to ask. Wondering if anyone on here would help "appraise" to let me know it's worth. The size is say maybe +80lbs about 44 inches around the belly and top of crown on shell and 5ft circumference around his shell

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't sell big sulcatas anymore. You'll be lucky to find a decent home to take it for free.

For a really nice looking one with a smooth shell, you could ask $300-500, but no on that knows the market and knows how to house one properly will pay that because they know they can get a dozen of them for free with minimal effort. Sometimes you can sell adult females.

Pac-Man

Purvis mississippi
You don't sell big sulcatas anymore. You'll be lucky to find a decent home to take it for free.

For a really nice looking one with a smooth shell, you could ask $300-500, but no on that knows the market and knows how to house one properly will pay that because they know they can get a dozen of them for free with minimal effort. Sometimes you can sell adult females.
So I had bought this off a friend since he no longer wanted it and needed the money I currently have a much smaller one about basketball sized in a 12x12 enclosure but I'm afraid if I try to put them together this would crush mine so I would need to build another much larger enclosure or just try to maybe sell for my money back

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I had bought this off a friend since he no longer wanted it and needed the money I currently have a much smaller one about basketball sized in a 12x12 enclosure but I'm afraid if I try to put them together this would crush mine so I would need to build another much larger enclosure or just try to maybe sell for my money back
They should never live as a pair, and damage to one or both would be likely if you put them together in such tiny quarters.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Finding a GOOD home is the number one priority. Getting a couple hundred dollars to have an innocent soul live in misery is never worth it. Do your research, ask questions of potential buyers/adoptee's and don't let em go till you find a GOOD home. Wish you best of luck.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can we see pictures of this giant Sulcata?

Pac-Man

Purvis mississippi
They should never live as a pair, and damage to one or both would be likely if you put them together in such tiny quarters.
Do you have any advice on how big of a enclosure or night box I would need for one so large if I do keep him I see you have been on the site awhile and seem to have a lot of knowledge on them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have any advice on how big of a enclosure or night box I would need for one so large if I do keep him I see you have been on the site awhile and seem to have a lot of knowledge on them
That is not a giant sulcata. That is the size of an adult female. Males typically reach 32 inches long and 130 pounds. Sudan males get even larger. 36 inches and 250 pounds is common. They are much higher domed.

The enclosure should be a minimum of about 50x50 feet. For a night box you could do a 4x4 foot box, but an 8x4 foot might make more sense.

Pac-Man

Purvis mississippi
That is not a giant sulcata. That is the size of an adult female. Males typically reach 32 inches long and 130 pounds. Sudan males get even larger. 36 inches and 250 pounds is common. They are much higher domed.

The enclosure should be a minimum of about 50x50 feet. For a night box you could do a 4x4 foot box, but an 8x4 foot might make more sense.

Thank you for this info I may just look into trying to build a night box and keep the tort I will have my backyard fenced in this spring so it will have plenty of space to roam but until then is there any quick solution to housing him threw the winter I live in southern Mississippi and I have currently been bringing my other little guy indoors for the cold but this big boy is too much work to constantly be bringing in and out he is currently in the bed of my truck and parked inside my garage to keep him safe and warm till I come up with a solution

Pac-Man

Purvis mississippi

I'm not too sure on how to tell if it male or female maybe you be able to help with the sex I could send more pics of needed I'm also not too sure about the age of the tort or if there is a science to figuring out about how old it is

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for this info I may just look into trying to build a night box and keep the tort I will have my backyard fenced in this spring so it will have plenty of space to roam but until then is there any quick solution to housing him threw the winter I live in southern Mississippi and I have currently been bringing my other little guy indoors for the cold but this big boy is too much work to constantly be bringing in and out he is currently in the bed of my truck and parked inside my garage to keep him safe and warm till I come up with a solution
Is it 80 degrees in your garage? If the tortoise gets sick from getting too cold at night, the vet bills will not be cheap and the recovery and treatment will not be easy.

There is no quick solution to housing giant tortoises in cooler weather. It takes a lot of time, effort, planning, and expense. The night boxes shown above can be built in two or three days if you work on nothing else all day.

A fenced yard sounds great, but be sure there is a complete visual barrier down low. Sulcatas will hurt themselves on chainlink or anything they can see through.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not too sure on how to tell if it male or female maybe you be able to help with the sex I could send more pics of needed I'm also not too sure about the age of the tort or if there is a science to figuring out about how old it is
Show us a picture of the tail and anal scutes. Hold the tortoise's back up against your torso with its nose pointed toward the sky ad have someone take a picture of the plastron shown the tail and anal scutes.

Is the tail longer than an inch? Is the plastron concave?

Pac-Man

Purvis mississippi
Is it 80 degrees in your garage? If the tortoise gets sick from getting too cold at night, the vet bills will not be cheap and the recovery and treatment will not be easy.

There is no quick solution to housing giant tortoises in cooler weather. It takes a lot of time, effort, planning, and expense. The night boxes shown above can be built in two or three days if you work on nothing else all day.

A fenced yard sounds great, but be sure there is a complete visual barrier down low. Sulcatas will hurt themselves on chainlink or anything they can see through.
So I will have a wooden fence built I also been told I could maybe use chicken wire around the bottom and bury it some so if it trys to escape it will run into the wire and not be able to get out donno if that is a good idea or not? And I have my garage door insulated with double 1.5in insulation so it stays a nice temp in there if it gets too cold on some nights I put a heater

Pac-Man

Purvis mississippi
Show us a picture of the tail and anal scutes. Hold the tortoise's back up against your torso with its nose pointed toward the sky ad have someone take a picture of the plastron shown the tail and anal scutes.

Is the tail longer than an inch? Is the plastron concave?
Yes I will try to get these pics today and post on here for you to see

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I will have a wooden fence built I also been told I could maybe use chicken wire around the bottom and bury it some so if it trys to escape it will run into the wire and not be able to get out donno if that is a good idea or not? And I have my garage door insulated with double 1.5in insulation so it stays a nice temp in there if it gets too cold on some nights I put a heater
Large sulcata will rip right through chicken wire and damage themselves in the process. They do not "dig out". If sulcatas dig, they dig a tunnel down at a 30-40 degree angle and use that as a burrow. They don't dig down and then back up at a different angle. I'ave never buried wire in a sucalta enclosure. Some of them dig and some of them don't, but they never try to dig out. They just dig burrows in hot weather to get out of the scorching summer sun.

"A nice temp" is not enough. You need to use a thermometer and keep the temp above 80 at night and all the time.

Pac-Man

Purvis mississippi
Large sulcata will rip right through chicken wire and damage themselves in the process. They do not "dig out". If sulcatas dig, they dig a tunnel down at a 30-40 degree angle and use that as a burrow. They don't dig down and then back up at a different angle. I'ave never buried wire in a sucalta enclosure. Some of them dig and some of them don't, but they never try ti dig out. They just dig burrows in hot weather to get out of the scorching summer sun.

"A nice temp" is not enough. You need to use a thermometer and keep the temp above 80 at night and all the time.
Alright i will look into getting a thermostat in there to figure out the temps in there and yes my smaller tort dug itself a burrow this summer during the scorching 100 degrees weather we had for a 2 week stretch this last summer his burrow is about 3 or 4ft deep then turns almost 90 degrees and goes another 3 to 4 ft I was worried at first but I read some post on here saying it was all norm and fine so figured he was alright since he always comes out when he hears me outside and I'll make sure to block it off during the winter