Giving Advice for proper baby care of sullies

TheBruce

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My brother brought home a baby sulcata from a roadside seller last month. Having never owned this type of reptile before I have been observing and researching here to make sure he/she gets the proper care.

I've made some comments/ remarks to them about the care .........

I'm just going to leave it at that.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My brother brought home a baby sulcata from a roadside seller last month.

I've made some comments/ remarks to them about the care .........

I'm just going to leave it at that.

Is your brother heeding any of your advice or interested in learning how to properly raise this guy?

Sully babies are cute :)
But it's super sad when they don't make it due to improper care.

TheBruce

Arizona
yes and no. Poor thing :-(

I get the " that's not what pet smart said And she's a desert tortoise" remarks. I swear the first month she lived on butter lettuce aside from when I would sneak her out for sunshine and grass.

They don't soak her either. I do it every chance I get because I can just tell she is dehydrated. The second she gets near water she shoves her face down in it for a few mins.

Even though she isn't mine I hope my little interventions will help.

Have you dealt with people that refuse accept the advice ?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Cute baby. Keep trying with the bro. For the sake of that cute baby.

Remind bro that they are born when it is hot and humid and they need that humidity to make them juicy and pliable inside. Nature does not make mistakes. Man makes mistakes and makes them jerky inside. Then they fail. We wonder why. Well, duh. You no do what nature do, you pay. Or rather baby pays.

Keep it up with bro' man. PetSmart is not all that when it comes to education. Although I have met some associates who are open to learning more and I know some of them are members of this forum. But not all of them, as should be, for tortoises' sake.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is frustrating and hard to be told you're wrong. Members here have been raising Sulcatas for decades. Maybe you could get him interested in some of the stories about Bob or Tank. There are probably others too. Check out the Sulcata section and share some of the fun stuff here. Hopefully he will learn to trust the members here.
I wish you the best of luck for that babies sake.

TheBruce

Arizona
Even though some of my advice is falling of deaf ears (or annoyed ones) I'm happy to say they at least are starting to get her outside more!

They won't do anything about the humidity but I sneak soaks and mists on the little one. Plus I pull the cabbage and spinach out of the enclosure when I see it. Got a big tub of organic spring mix and just replace it with that. Torty grazes on the grass for hours and seems to enjoy that when outside!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
He needs to have water all the time . More humidity and a hide . The fish tank isn't big enough .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They need to understand that these are NOT desert animals. They live in an area with relatively high rain fall, not in a desert. These babies hatch at the start of the 3-4 month monsoon season. Its hot, humid and there are puddles, marshes and green growing food everywhere.

Print these and leave them at their house. Sometimes people feel they have to argue and stand their ground out of idiotic pride, but if they can rad the care sheets in private when no one else is around they can learn, but still "save face".

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here show your brother these pictures . This is a female sulcata that was kept too dry . The other two are smooth because of humidity . Having water available at all times . Print out Tom's care sheets and follow them . If you don't your tortoise will suffer the consequences .

Attachments

• 1431303686463.jpg
    1431303686463.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 1431303728808.jpg
    1431303728808.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 29