Glass Tank (I know this is not suggested)

toritot55!

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
I have my tortoise in a glass tank, but I have put paper on the outside of the bottom of the tank so it does not stress him out. Is it fine to keep him in there since I blocked his view? Should I put wood or something on the inside of his tank so it could possibly be more insulated and prevent him from hitting the glass? Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is nothing wrong with glass tanks for appropriately sized tortoises. That is an old persistent myth. Me and several other keepers here have been starting babies in glass tanks for 30 years with no problems. I've never put visual barriers around the glass.

The problem with glass tanks is that they are too small for anything but a little baby. What species have you got and what size? What size tank?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
There is nothing wrong with glass tanks for appropriately sized tortoises. That is an old persistent myth. Me and several other keepers here have been starting babies in glass tanks for 30 years with no problems. I've never put visual barriers around the glass.

The problem with glass tanks is that they are too small for anything but a little baby. What species have you got and what size? What size tank?

Exactly this... a 180g tank would be great, while a 20g tank would not... the glass doesn't; make the difference, only the size does.

Jamie

Reactions: Tom