Not open for further replies.

Herphiles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dover, New Hampshire
SailingMystic said:
turtlemann2 said:
she looks so much happier!

She sure does !!! :)!! I'm thrilled to be reading this. So happy for her!!!

Thanks guys! She's an awesome animal to have around and it's kind of cool for me having her in the bedroom with us lol, she's the last critter I see before I go to bed and the first one I see in the morning and she's always so aware of everything going on around her! She's been eating earthworms like they're going out of style and I even caught her munching on some greens earlier, I'm sure they are much tastier than the iceberg and dog food she's used to :D

I really appreciate all the advice and tips so far guys, I think she is going to do just fine and, even if she's always a funky looking turtle she's at least got a shot at being a happy, healthy little turtle now :D I will be sure to keep you updated on her progress and should have a vet report shortly.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
fbsmith3 said:
I have had luck with coleus and spider plants. My girls dig up everything else, but for some reason they seem to survive well.

I had them growing in their outdoor pen last summer and pulled them up for their indoor enclosure.

Honestly, I love the look of coleus, it's just so pretty. They never eat the plants they just dig under and uproot them.

oh i love them!!...is that pitting or a hole on the side of pic 2...My lefty has a similar spot where the ppl i got her from said it was drilled for a leash!

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I believe it's just pitting, but to be honest I have no idea. I've only had her since last fall. She's a bit of a pig and very social. The other on I've had since June1989. She also has the same pits but it's tiny. They have them on both sides.

I'm wondering if it's something that was done when they were captured. I believe they are both the same age and were wild caught, but really do not have any clue to their early life.

I know one thing for certain they have had the best care I can offer as long as they have lived with me.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
All of the wild caught boxies I have had also have had those holes. I believe they are from long "pincher" tools that are used to collect them in the field. I read that in a book once back when I was a teenager, but I can't remember which one.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Kristina said:
All of the wild caught boxies I have had also have had those holes. I believe they are from long "pincher" tools that are used to collect them in the field. I read that in a book once back when I was a teenager, but I can't remember which one.

That explains a lot, they holes or pits are in the exact same spot on both side of both turtles. It must have happened when they very young since they are very friendly.

Either way, it's terrible.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Kristina said:

http://www.anapsid.org/box.html
Middle of the first paragraph refers to these pincher like tools, i wish i could find a picture though

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
Aw, looks like she's really enjoying her new home! Kudos!

Herphiles

5 Year Member
Dover, New Hampshire
Hunahpu said:
Aw, looks like she's really enjoying her new home! Kudos!

She definitely seems to be loving her enclosure! She's always out and exploring and is just such an interactive little animal :D

She's loving earthworms too! Don't know if she ever had them before she came to us but she knows just what to do with em :D She'll take em right out of my hand it's awesome!

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

She's getting a nice diet of wild greens dusted with Repashy veggie dust twice a day, 3-4 earthworms a day (usually one night crawler and a couple of smaller worms) and we're getting some freshwater snails for her to give her a little variety once in a while!

I love this pose, she's doing the happy turtle squat, sitting in her basking spot with her legs up in the air! It's so darned cute :D

IMG_2099.jpg

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
This is fabulous!! She's a lucky girl-- keep sharing :) I'm thrilled to hear that she's eating out of your hand!!! :)!!

Now she needs a name. Any ideas on a name???

Herphiles

5 Year Member
Dover, New Hampshire
SailingMystic said:
This is fabulous!! She's a lucky girl-- keep sharing :) I'm thrilled to hear that she's eating out of your hand!!! :)!!

Now she needs a name. Any ideas on a name???

We decided to call her isabelle or izzy for short :)

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
fbsmith3 said:
Kristina said:

That explains a lot, they holes or pits are in the exact same spot on both side of both turtles. It must have happened when they very young since they are very friendly.

Either way, it's terrible.

The holes are natural. Many three-toeds get them with age. They are always in the exact same spot. It's believed to be a genetic thing. I'll try to find the source.

Here you go!

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/Terrapene_pitting.htm

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
supremelysteve said:
The holes are natural. Many three-toeds get them with age. They are always in the exact same spot. It's believed to be a genetic thing. I'll try to find the source.

Here you go!

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/Terrapene_pitting.htm

great link, cause is unknown but appears only in t. c. tringus thus the probibility of genetic influence cannot be dismissed.

Niki

5 Year Member
She looks like a little Izzy. So glad you saved her. She must feel so much better!

Herphiles

5 Year Member
Dover, New Hampshire
Niki said:
She looks like a little Izzy. So glad you saved her. She must feel so much better!

Haha yes she does! Don't know if anyone here watches the tv show Weeds but it's one of our favorite shows and there's a character one there named Izzy who is a sort of unique girl lol it just fits this little turtle so well!

Status
Not open for further replies.