God issued

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I don't think you are an idiot. I think you are a cowboy, and so am I. The world needs more people willing to, as my wife says, "Get shi* done!". I will admit to enjoying and laughing at people's reaction when I walk over and casually grab a gopher snake off the ground like its one of my pets. Hearing them gasp when those small or medium sized gophers do those two or three half hearted strikes entertains me immensely.

I can understand your hand issues, but I'd love to figure out a solution that doesn't put you in that sort of peril. Perhaps you can try out and figure out a different "tool" system that works for your hand issues, but still keeps you safe? I don't know the answer, but I don't want to see a good dude get hurt, or set a bad example for any young impressionable minds. In spite of society's futile and misguided attempts to squash anything resembling a masculine trait, boys will still be boys, and boys will still blindly follow a bad example.

And DUDE! Take better care of your hands from now on! You telling me that stuff inspires the same sort of feeling you experienced when you saw Yvonne up on her roof!
That's hilarious that boys will be boys. Silly boys. I'm a girl and I like snakes too. That doesn't mean I'm gonna be picking one up anytime soon. Poor little snake. There's other options to convince them to slither out of dodge. Like a broom. 😊 stick.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
It seems to me that instead of being sarcastic and walking off when those people expressed their shock and awe, you could have told them to never try handling venomous snakes themselves, and that most snakes are non-venomous, and that all snakes deserve to be treated with respect and not unreasoning terror.
Good point........I have a hard time, no very hard time dealing with people. My favorite saying is..."I like people I just can't stand em." I must say on that trip in 1 1/2 hours we caught 7 or 8 snakes. California king snakes, Gopher snakes and rattlers. There was lots of show n tell as well as learning and teaching. 1 of the CA king snakes was caught in a campers site. This led to their kids holding the snake and taking pictures as I rattled off as much info as I could. Maybe some or 1 of the points I shared with them would be remembered.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good point........I have a hard time, no very hard time dealing with people. My favorite saying is..."I like people I just can't stand em." I must say on that trip in 1 1/2 hours we caught 7 or 8 snakes. California king snakes, Gopher snakes and rattlers. There was lots of show n tell as well as learning and teaching. 1 of the CA king snakes was caught in a campers site. This led to their kids holding the snake and taking pictures as I rattled off as much info as I could. Maybe some or 1 of the points I shared with them would be remembered.
I love to see and hear about people who try to teach other people about possibly the most maligned animals in the world! Here in Jamaica I try at every opportunity. We have critically endangered boas here being chopped up and burnt. Out of ignorance and fear.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Shark Fin Soup.... Such terrible results for our planets fellow animals because of our ignorance.
****if you don't already know the definition of Ignorance look it up******

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Fought a very colorful chicken snake years ago for possession of my young new mom Modern Game bantam (about a pound). She was half in, half out of its gullet, head first. When I grabbed the snake's tail it regurgitated her. I let it go. She was slimed and still. Got the slime off her head and she breathed and I was happy.
She raised the surviving 5 chicks she'd fought for (in my dining room) and lived to be 14.

I covered all the chicken wire with bird netting and didn't lose any more to snakes. Caught plenty and released them far, far away, but never did see that chicken snake again.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Fought a very colorful chicken snake years ago for possession of my young new mom Modern Game bantam (about a pound). She was half in, half out of its gullet, head first. When I grabbed the snake's tail it regurgitated her. I let it go. She was slimed and still. Got the slime off her head and she breathed and I was happy.
She raised the surviving 5 chicks she'd fought for (in my dining room) and lived to be 14.

I covered all the chicken wire with bird netting and didn't lose any more to snakes. Caught plenty and released them far, far away, but never did see that chicken snake again.
Never heard of a Chicken Snake. Lol!

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Never heard of a Chicken Snake. Lol!
Very real snakes. One type in MS is banded yellow and orange. Other name is rat snake. In AR their chicken snakes are black and can get huge. Aggressive. Where I lived, copperheads were everywhere. My cat Flower would lay them out on the path for me to high jump. FYI copperheads smell bad.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Very real snakes. One type in MS is banded yellow and orange. Other name is rat snake. In AR their chicken snakes are black and can get huge. Aggressive. Where I lived, copperheads were everywhere. My cat Flower would lay them out on the path for me to high jump. FYI copperheads smell bad.
That's strange and interesting that you said copperheads smell bad.. I've always heard they smell like cucumber. I've never run across one so I don't know what they smell like at all. I've run across several other types but I've never noticed an oder about them. I did hear that copperheads have an odor though so I don't doubt it a bit.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
That's strange and interesting that you said copperheads smell bad.. I've always heard they smell like cucumber. I've never run across one so I don't know what they smell like at all. I've run across several other types but I've never noticed an oder about them. I did hear that copperheads have an odor though so I don't doubt it a bit.
Definitely not like cuke to me. It's a sharp, foreign smell like nothing else.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Definitely not like cuke to me. It's a sharp, foreign smell like nothing else.
I'm not sure if the people that told me that have ever been around a copperhead either. They just repeat what they've heard as if it's a fact. No wonder people just kill snakes if they spot one. There's been too many lies told about them. Even with all the encounters I've had with snakes I've never been bit. Not even once. Many times if I was a snake I'd have bitten me 😊 I've stepped on them, came inches away from stepping on them etc etc etc. if there's a snake laying around in my yard I usually eventually find it. I have so many true snake stories. I used to be terrified of them. I'm not anymore.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The Jamaican boas have a very strong musk, and they will let you have it if they are not happy with you at any time. It's really hard to get rid of and there's NO other smell like it in the world.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Something I've heard or read is make noise when you're walking around areas like that. Rustling something. A snake doesn't want a confrontation anymore than you. And preacher teach myself 🙃 every time I turn around I'll either step on one or come close 😕

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
For me, poison snakes are not so good but I totally respect you guys and your talents. I certainly don't want anyone to ever get injured but too often, the "old snake keeper" shows the signs in the failed or missing limb. Maybe it was fate that steered "jeff the intrepid" clear of such a future?

I read this thread when it first began, then I I put it "on the shelf" till it settled. You guys never been in a antivenin coma yet, right? Yet? The stuff must contain kryptonite is all I can figure, I didn't cope well. It's actually not really that bad as you are asleep but it will raise some drama for your loved ones!

Screw your venomous snakes LOL.....Like many here, I'm a climb a tree & dirt guy and I love traveling and seemingly everywhere I go, there are snakes that I have to consider. Belize was the last place, with 9 of them that could cause me issues. Swimming with the sharks on the reef didn't worry me as much as going into the Mayan ruins. In a lot of places outside the developed world, there are no rope-rails @ the ruins, you get to explore them slightly cleared, in the jungle and mostly raw. My prob is that I HAVE to go....it's just cool to me so I use a lead-stick waving and I keep my hands and feet inside the ride at all times and don't stick them in any palms. It's not like there's any chance I'm not going to do those things, so I just learn to deal.

btw- when we learned I was allergic to antivenin, I was 12 & I was bitten from behind, I never even saw the snake but they wanted to be "safe" at North Arundel Hospital. Looking back, it was a pretty archaic decision, they probably would have bled me too had it not been on the head. Me thinks that I was lucky to get away from them!

The Jamaican boas have a very strong musk, and they will let you have it if they are not happy with you at any time. It's really hard to get rid of and there's NO other smell like it in the world.
I have read it's used for a defense, some desert gecko's do it as well.

BTW- I love Jamaica in part b/c there are no venomous snakes there, even in the jungles!

ryan57

PA
There aren't too many snake species that I don't like. I grew up in the concrete jungle, in "the hood", so I have don't have as much knowledge of, or experience with, native snakes. I learned about snakes in pet stores and pet books. The bit with my step brother was during a short time that I lived with my father in the the mountains in Idyllwild, CA. Most of my native snake experience started 30 years ago when I got out of my teen years and moved right straight out of that city as soon as I could. Now I live and also work out in the country with dirt under my feet every day and not concrete.

Sooooo... My favorite snakes are the Drymarchon. I've always loved the Eastern Indigos, but haven't kept my own yet. I do keep the unicolor cribos and love them the most. I'll have a Texas indigo soon, and would love to raise a yellow tail cribo too. I just happened to make friends completely by chance with the two top breeders of Drymarchon in the world, and they have educated me thoroughly. My daughter and I get the privilege of checking my friend's whole collection for eggs and babies when my friends go out of town during egg laying and egg hatching seasons. I love all the Drymarchon. I intend to have a bunch in next couple of years. They are so completely different in behavior, hunting strategy, diet, intelligence, etc... than every other genus and species. For anyone reading who has not been around a member of this genus, go find one. It will change the way you think of snakes. They are so cool. I would love to have:
Unicolor cribos
Eastern indigos
Texas indigos
Mexican indigos
Yellow tail cribos
and my friends have this really really cool black tail cribo variant with a brick red body.

Other species I really like include:
Scrub pythons and most of the Morelia.
Regular plain old Boa constrictors.
I really like the BEL (Blue Eyed Leucistic) ball pythons and want some of those. All white. No color at all.
I really want to try Bredls pythons, but have no first hand experience with them.
Locally we have loads of gopher snakes and those have always been a favorite, but I don't feel the need to keep those as I can just walk outside and pick one up anytime I want, and I frequently do. Just found another little one a few days ago.
I recently discovered and love the Mexican pine snakes.
I have three black pine snakes. Nasty temperament though...
I've always loved the Trans-Pecos rat snakes and finally got my own last January. I can't tell you why that species speaks to me, but it does.
I love the false water cobras...

I once found a young southern pacific rattlesnake on a cold fall day. He was dehydrated and thin and I didn't think he'd survive the winter. I warm water soaked him in a five gallon bucket and made an enclosure with a heat lamp for him on my kitchen counter. I lived alone at the time and had no kids around ever, so I wasn't worried about it. I fed him through the winter and released him in a nice nearby area during a spring warm spell.

I don't care to keep any venomous species around, but I do like some of them. I've always loved the copperheads. I handle cobras and rattlesnake for work on occasion, and have no trouble with them, but not really something I want to keep as a pet. My all time favorite venomous snakes though are the gaboon and rhino vipers. I've always loved and been fascinated with those. I got to put a baby gaboon on Jay Leno's desk for the tonight show years ago. King Cobras are scary smart, and I have no desire to be anywhere near any mamba.
Since 7th grade I've said a big no to snakes. I lived in Liberia West Africa for a few years in the early 80's (My dad was retired Coast Guard running the LORAN navigation tower) and had almost daily snake interactions, more like running froms, on trash piles at the international school, embassy housing where my friends lived and ELWA.

Green mambas would drop out of the mango trees when riding your bike, Black mambas were a daily occurance when playing soccer during recess but...

The only time we went "up country" we took a detour because someone knew of a waterfall. We (about 10 people) trekked in with machetes until my mom looked around and there were pit vipers everywhere. Don't know how we made it out a couple hundred feet through the snakes unharmed. Since that experience, snakes were a no.

This year there was a harmless snake, brown in color, in my yard that crossed paths with Stump right in front of him. Left it alone and it kept to itself and assumedly moved on. Stump wasn't phased in the least.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since 7th grade I've said a big no to snakes. I lived in Liberia West Africa for a few years in the early 80's (My dad was retired Coast Guard running the LORAN navigation tower) and had almost daily snake interactions, more like running froms, on trash piles at the international school, embassy housing where my friends lived and ELWA.

Green mambas would drop out of the mango trees when riding your bike, Black mambas were a daily occurance when playing soccer during recess but...

The only time we went "up country" we took a detour because someone knew of a waterfall. We (about 10 people) trekked in with machetes until my mom looked around and there were pit vipers everywhere. Don't know how we made it out a couple hundred feet through the snakes unharmed. Since that experience, snakes were a no.

This year there was a harmless snake, brown in color, in my yard that crossed paths with Stump right in front of him. Left it alone and it kept to itself and assumedly moved on. Stump wasn't phased in the least.
I don't fault anyone for not liking snakes. Some of them are literally deadly. Its a valid fear. My problem is with the people who kill all snakes indiscriminately. They kill the beneficial harmless snakes that eat the venomous snakes. That just makes no sense, and it leaves the world worse off every time it happens.