God issued

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
I am the Snake guy for my area as well as any other thing you need caught and removed. The title is in reference to just about every time I show up for a snake call. "You don't have a snake stick" they say I simply reply "Got my God Issued ones" as I show them my hands. I have been using my hands to catch things since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Was suspended in the 1st grade for bringing a snake for show and tell, without the teacher knowing of course. For FREE me and my wife remove nuisance animals and relocate them. The Crotalus oreganus is our most common animal... the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake. As you see in the pics we encounter all kinds of things, makes for good "spur of the moment" excitement

So the answer is YES I have been bit by a rattlesnake, and YES I did receive antivenin. This means I have a 50 50 chance of having an allergic reaction to the antivenin and die. Antivenin is a 1 time deal really, the risk on second or third antivenin injections is very high. For this reason my wife HATES that I do this. With great power comes great responsibility...... Spiderman remember, uncle Ben. With that in mind any help I can give to my community I will do.

Attachments

• 8B3C9089-6849-4021-A638-CCB1260AB40A.jpeg
    8B3C9089-6849-4021-A638-CCB1260AB40A.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2003B7FF-4295-4E5F-9480-B4DB93F41697.jpeg
    2003B7FF-4295-4E5F-9480-B4DB93F41697.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 6D3CC29D-6717-4D51-B7A3-9B7A6AC04BD5.jpeg
    6D3CC29D-6717-4D51-B7A3-9B7A6AC04BD5.jpeg
    785.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 30D8FDEE-0747-444C-ABEB-DE120E234309.jpeg
    30D8FDEE-0747-444C-ABEB-DE120E234309.jpeg
    547.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 04959229-BF05-4D99-B0B3-DB197781EAC4.jpeg
    04959229-BF05-4D99-B0B3-DB197781EAC4.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 049A19BB-A79D-4657-A1EB-BE4EE0E747FB.jpeg
    049A19BB-A79D-4657-A1EB-BE4EE0E747FB.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 839B9F50-29BD-40F1-9CFC-6715EBB48CDF.jpeg
    839B9F50-29BD-40F1-9CFC-6715EBB48CDF.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2A4C6F7B-78AB-44D1-B293-AF8D9B77C880.jpeg
    2A4C6F7B-78AB-44D1-B293-AF8D9B77C880.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 5
  • EA3F1186-BBA3-42EC-8578-6C5862248D3D.jpeg
    EA3F1186-BBA3-42EC-8578-6C5862248D3D.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 8A2398EA-57BD-4C5D-A14D-A66C72A0BB6D.jpeg
    8A2398EA-57BD-4C5D-A14D-A66C72A0BB6D.jpeg
    993.9 KB · Views: 4
  • B659DDD9-8959-4EE5-9FFD-81F349B0F92F.jpeg
    B659DDD9-8959-4EE5-9FFD-81F349B0F92F.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 5
  • B2DC4A84-5D57-4F95-ABCD-8A8E7C747A18.jpeg
    B2DC4A84-5D57-4F95-ABCD-8A8E7C747A18.jpeg
    654.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like frog and bat guy too lol
Do you go out for yourself to just find them or are you the one people call when they want one removed? Either way, great pics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am the Snake guy for my area as well as any other thing you need caught and removed. The title is in reference to just about every time I show up for a snake call. "You don't have a snake stick" they say I simply reply "Got my God Issued ones" as I show them my hands. I have been using my hands to catch things since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Was suspended in the 1st grade for bringing a snake for show and tell, without the teacher knowing of course. For FREE me and my wife remove nuisance animals and relocate them. The Crotalus oreganus is our most common animal... the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake. As you see in the pics we encounter all kinds of things, makes for good "spur of the moment" excitement

So the answer is YES I have been bit by a rattlesnake, and YES I did receive antivenin. This means I have a 50 50 chance of having an allergic reaction to the antivenin and die. Antivenin is a 1 time deal really, the risk on second or third antivenin injections is very high. For this reason my wife HATES that I do this. With great power comes great responsibility...... Spiderman remember, uncle Ben. With that in mind any help I can give to my community I will do.
You seem like a cool dude and we'd probably get along great if we ever met. With that in mind, I tell you in a friendly way that handling rattlesnakes without tongs and a snake stick is stupid. You are asking for it, and you've already received it once. Why didn't you learn? I too have been handling all snakes species with my hands since I was a kid. When my brother and I found a rattlesnake it was a race to see who could find a stick or a branch first, pin the head, and then pick it up and chase the other around with it. That was when I was seven years old. How neither of us ever got bit remains a mystery in my mind.

Now I handle them professionally both in front of the camera and behind it to keep the cast and crew safe. I've been properly trained by career professionals that have been doing it for decades, and handling them with hands is just ridiculously foolish. People see us with our proper tools and remark that Steve Irwin, or whoever the latest TV personality is, doesn't use tongs, and we have to explain that they are a circus act and they are doing it that way for show, and that it is not safe and very unprofessional.

What is the point of this rant? I don't want to see you or anyone else get bit. I keep tongs, a snake stick and a snake bucket in my cars so I can save road snakes and move them off of people's property when the need arises. Invest in some tongs man. I like the Midwest brand, but choose whatever suits you.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
You seem like a cool dude and we'd probably get along great if we ever met. With that in mind, I tell you in a friendly way that handling rattlesnakes without tongs and a snake stick is stupid. You are asking for it, and you've already received it once. Why didn't you learn? I too have been handling all snakes species with my hands since I was a kid. When my brother and I found a rattlesnake it was a race to see who could find a stick or a branch first, pin the head, and then pick it up and chase the other around with it. That was when I was seven years old. How neither of us ever got bit remains a mystery in my mind.

Now I handle them professionally both in front of the camera and behind it to keep the cast and crew safe. I've been properly trained by career professionals that have been doing it for decades, and handling them with hands is just ridiculously foolish. People see us with our proper tools and remark that Steve Irwin, or whoever the latest TV personality is, doesn't use tongs, and we have to explain that they are a circus act and they are doing it that way for show, and that it is not safe and very unprofessional.

What is the point of this rant? I don't want to see you or anyone else get bit. I keep tongs, a snake stick and a snake bucket in my cars so I can save road snakes and move them off of people's property when the need arises. Invest in some tongs man. I like the Midwest brand, but choose whatever suits you.
THANK YOU @Tom ......Finally you did it, you told me I'm an idiot. I've been waiting for this, really.
@Tom is 100% right handling snakes with your hands is foolish and VERY dangerous. Excuse: my hands have been frozen with propane, had liquid aluminum poured on them, Fried/Burned multiple times with all different types of acid, not to mention cuts, tears and punctures. Due to this my hands have very little feeling or sense, this causes some big issues. With gloves it's just about impossible to function or use my fingers efficiently. I am very uncomfortable with sticks or tongs if I HAVE to handle the snake. My wife is totally with Tom on this, and just told me to tell him "He's Right." The only way to explain it I guess is like this.....Imagine a 1 armed person trying to braiding hair..... to accomplish the goal they make due and figure out a way to do it....GET ER DONE. This summer I had a VERY close call with a Northern Pacific while releasing it. It was in front of my 16 year old daughter, and the look on her face was sickening. This is the 1 thing that has really hit home with me. To see my child have the fear of death....... I am now taking this into account every snake encounter, I remember that look. As I age and slow the risk is just not worth it is the mentality I am starting to have.
@Tom I sincerely appreciate your warning it is people like you that I respect and LISTEN to. And I can take it, I am here to be told what I'm doing wrong, to be told "What the hell were you thinking"

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
The last pic is a rattlesnake removed from the road coming out of death valley. Sorry just responding to @Tom saying he has a snake kit in his car for road snakes. Was just looking at Midwest Snake Sticks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
THANK YOU @Tom ......Finally you did it, you told me I'm an idiot. I've been waiting for this, really.
@Tom is 100% right handling snakes with your hands is foolish and VERY dangerous. Excuse: my hands have been frozen with propane, had liquid aluminum poured on them, Fried/Burned multiple times with all different types of acid, not to mention cuts, tears and punctures. Due to this my hands have very little feeling or sense, this causes some big issues. With gloves it's just about impossible to function or use my fingers efficiently. I am very uncomfortable with sticks or tongs if I HAVE to handle the snake. My wife is totally with Tom on this, and just told me to tell him "He's Right." The only way to explain it I guess is like this.....Imagine a 1 armed person trying to braiding hair..... to accomplish the goal they make due and figure out a way to do it....GET ER DONE. This summer I had a VERY close call with a Northern Pacific while releasing it. It was in front of my 16 year old daughter, and the look on her face was sickening. This is the 1 thing that has really hit home with me. To see my child have the fear of death....... I am now taking this into account every snake encounter, I remember that look. As I age and slow the risk is just not worth it is the mentality I am starting to have.
@Tom I sincerely appreciate your warning it is people like you that I respect and LISTEN to. And I can take it, I am here to be told what I'm doing wrong, to be told "What the hell were you thinking"
I don't think you are an idiot. I think you are a cowboy, and so am I. The world needs more people willing to, as my wife says, "Get shi* done!". I will admit to enjoying and laughing at people's reaction when I walk over and casually grab a gopher snake off the ground like its one of my pets. Hearing them gasp when those small or medium sized gophers do those two or three half hearted strikes entertains me immensely.

I can understand your hand issues, but I'd love to figure out a solution that doesn't put you in that sort of peril. Perhaps you can try out and figure out a different "tool" system that works for your hand issues, but still keeps you safe? I don't know the answer, but I don't want to see a good dude get hurt, or set a bad example for any young impressionable minds. In spite of society's futile and misguided attempts to squash anything resembling a masculine trait, boys will still be boys, and boys will still blindly follow a bad example.

And DUDE! Take better care of your hands from now on! You telling me that stuff inspires the same sort of feeling you experienced when you saw Yvonne up on her roof!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
You are so right.....never thought about some youngster in.....Georgia....reading this and then attempting a cotton mouth catch......This is a real thing that could happen, and your right. D'oh
@zolasmum asked in another post .....I can't help puzzling about your reference to John Wayne as a neighbour - I'm in the UK, and maybe it's a reference that everyone in the USA understands ! about my signature, thought this might help shed some light.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are so right.....never thought about some youngster in.....Georgia....reading this and then attempting a cotton mouth catch......This is a real thing that could happen, and your right. D'oh
@zolasmum asked in another post .....I can't help puzzling about your reference to John Wayne as a neighbour - I'm in the UK, and maybe it's a reference that everyone in the USA understands ! about my signature, thought this might help shed some light.
I think whether a person would want him, or someone like him, as a neighbor depends on their character. I'd love to have someone like that as a neighbor. I wouldn't be fighting alone if the stuff hit the fan ever. He'd respect my property and I'd respect his. No problem.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Here is a pic from this morning, had a wire wheel get away from me. Yesterday was working on my sons car. 1st: @Tom never said I was an Idiot, those were my words......2nd I could have sent this to him personally but I want everyone else to see this. I'm pretty sure he understands. @Tom is a very intelligent person, about all kinds of stuff. He is an ALPHA male. As we have not communicated to each other very often (I'm new), I was just waiting for the post where we started to communicate. I was sure I would be told at some point I was wrong. @Tom has pride in the knowledge and wisdom he retains, and is willing to share it. I completely respect the way he says your wrong, I don't have that ability. He is a far better communicator.
.......was looking at MidWest snake sticks yesterday.

Attachments

• B6E4A74C-8971-4417-B071-7AD620A5EB77.jpeg
    B6E4A74C-8971-4417-B071-7AD620A5EB77.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I look forward to learning all kinds of cool information from @Tom now I know he is a snake guy to. @Tom favorite snake to handle non venomous?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I look forward to learning all kinds of cool information from @Tom now I know he is a snake guy to. @Tom favorite snake to handle non venomous?
There aren't too many snake species that I don't like. I grew up in the concrete jungle, in "the hood", so I have don't have as much knowledge of, or experience with, native snakes. I learned about snakes in pet stores and pet books. The bit with my step brother was during a short time that I lived with my father in the the mountains in Idyllwild, CA. Most of my native snake experience started 30 years ago when I got out of my teen years and moved right straight out of that city as soon as I could. Now I live and also work out in the country with dirt under my feet every day and not concrete.

Sooooo... My favorite snakes are the Drymarchon. I've always loved the Eastern Indigos, but haven't kept my own yet. I do keep the unicolor cribos and love them the most. I'll have a Texas indigo soon, and would love to raise a yellow tail cribo too. I just happened to make friends completely by chance with the two top breeders of Drymarchon in the world, and they have educated me thoroughly. My daughter and I get the privilege of checking my friend's whole collection for eggs and babies when my friends go out of town during egg laying and egg hatching seasons. I love all the Drymarchon. I intend to have a bunch in next couple of years. They are so completely different in behavior, hunting strategy, diet, intelligence, etc... than every other genus and species. For anyone reading who has not been around a member of this genus, go find one. It will change the way you think of snakes. They are so cool. I would love to have:
Unicolor cribos
Eastern indigos
Texas indigos
Mexican indigos
Yellow tail cribos
and my friends have this really really cool black tail cribo variant with a brick red body.

Other species I really like include:
Scrub pythons and most of the Morelia.
Regular plain old Boa constrictors.
I really like the BEL (Blue Eyed Leucistic) ball pythons and want some of those. All white. No color at all.
I really want to try Bredls pythons, but have no first hand experience with them.
Locally we have loads of gopher snakes and those have always been a favorite, but I don't feel the need to keep those as I can just walk outside and pick one up anytime I want, and I frequently do. Just found another little one a few days ago.
I recently discovered and love the Mexican pine snakes.
I have three black pine snakes. Nasty temperament though...
I've always loved the Trans-Pecos rat snakes and finally got my own last January. I can't tell you why that species speaks to me, but it does.
I love the false water cobras...

I once found a young southern pacific rattlesnake on a cold fall day. He was dehydrated and thin and I didn't think he'd survive the winter. I warm water soaked him in a five gallon bucket and made an enclosure with a heat lamp for him on my kitchen counter. I lived alone at the time and had no kids around ever, so I wasn't worried about it. I fed him through the winter and released him in a nice nearby area during a spring warm spell.

I don't care to keep any venomous species around, but I do like some of them. I've always loved the copperheads. I handle cobras and rattlesnake for work on occasion, and have no trouble with them, but not really something I want to keep as a pet. My all time favorite venomous snakes though are the gaboon and rhino vipers. I've always loved and been fascinated with those. I got to put a baby gaboon on Jay Leno's desk for the tonight show years ago. King Cobras are scary smart, and I have no desire to be anywhere near any mamba.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
There aren't too many snake species that I don't like. I grew up in the concrete jungle, in "the hood", so I have don't have as much knowledge of, or experience with, native snakes. I learned about snakes in pet stores and pet books. The bit with my step brother was during a short time that I lived with my father in the the mountains in Idyllwild, CA. Most of my native snake experience started 30 years ago when I got out of my teen years and moved right straight out of that city as soon as I could. Now I live and also work out in the country with dirt under my feet every day and not concrete.

Sooooo... My favorite snakes are the Drymarchon. I've always loved the Eastern Indigos, but haven't kept my own yet. I do keep the unicolor cribos and love them the most. I'll have a Texas indigo soon, and would love to raise a yellow tail cribo too. I just happened to make friends completely by chance with the two top breeders of Drymarchon in the world, and they have educated me thoroughly. My daughter and I get the privilege of checking my friend's whole collection for eggs and babies when my friends go out of town during egg laying and egg hatching seasons. I love all the Drymarchon. I intend to have a bunch in next couple of years. They are so completely different in behavior, hunting strategy, diet, intelligence, etc... than every other genus and species. For anyone reading who has not been around a member of this genus, go find one. It will change the way you think of snakes. They are so cool. I would love to have:
Unicolor cribos
Eastern indigos
Texas indigos
Mexican indigos
Yellow tail cribos
and my friends have this really really cool black tail cribo variant with a brick red body.

Other species I really like include:
Scrub pythons and most of the Morelia.
Regular plain old Boa constrictors.
I really like the BEL (Blue Eyed Leucistic) ball pythons and want some of those. All white. No color at all.
I really want to try Bredls pythons, but have no first hand experience with them.
Locally we have loads of gopher snakes and those have always been a favorite, but I don't feel the need to keep those as I can just walk outside and pick one up anytime I want, and I frequently do. Just found another little one a few days ago.
I recently discovered and love the Mexican pine snakes.
I have three black pine snakes. Nasty temperament though...
I've always loved the Trans-Pecos rat snakes and finally got my own last January. I can't tell you why that species speaks to me, but it does.
I love the false water cobras...

I once found a young southern pacific rattlesnake on a cold fall day. He was dehydrated and thin and I didn't think he'd survive the winter. I warm water soaked him in a five gallon bucket and made an enclosure with a heat lamp for him on my kitchen counter. I lived alone at the time and had no kids around ever, so I wasn't worried about it. I fed him through the winter and released him in a nice nearby area during a spring warm spell.

I don't care to keep any venomous species around, but I do like some of them. I've always loved the copperheads. I handle cobras and rattlesnake for work on occasion, and have no trouble with them, but not really something I want to keep as a pet. My all time favorite venomous snakes though are the gaboon and rhino vipers. I've always loved and been fascinated with those. I got to put a baby gaboon on Jay Leno's desk for the tonight show years ago. King Cobras are scary smart, and I have no desire to be anywhere near any mamba.
WOW..... I was simply going to respond with...I love rat snakes, there ornery. The king cobra would by far be a venomous snake I'd love to handle. The Gaboon for hand holding has always been an interest of mine. I know of no other snake with their "fat short" body. At 1 point my family was the biggest rescue between L.A. and Sacramento that we knew of. Of course there were breeders and collectors with far larger populations that we maintained.

OK story time......When my son was just 2 we were at the lake with family, Pine Flat. Of course the kids want to go snake hunting with uncle Dana. It wasn't but 10 min. and my son was standing inches away from a rattlesnake, not by design. With three kids in tow and trying to look out for all of them, I missed seeing this snake. I immediately jerked my son up on to my shoulders, It was all I could think to do. Now with a 2 yr. old on my shoulders and my niece and nephew standing in PURE fear what to do. Of course I pinned then grabbed the snake to show the rest of the family. As we walked through the campground everyone who saw what was happening was gasping. A dad in 1 of the camps runs over to me and says " Holy @#$% how did you catch that" I responding without even thinking "Well it just jumped up into my hands." As I walked away with his perplexed look and told the kids come on, he was at a loss for words. I tell this story because of the fear people have of an animal with no legs. It seems that they all believe snakes can fly, jump, run after you, and all kinds of other non-sense.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
At 1 point my family was the biggest rescue between L.A. and Sacramento that we knew of. Of course there were breeders and collectors with far larger populations that we maintained.
Clarification Large Snake Rescue. I get to drinking coffee and typing away on this thing and my brain goes faster than my fingers.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
WOW..... I was simply going to respond with...I love rat snakes, there ornery. The king cobra would by far be a venomous snake I'd love to handle. The Gaboon for hand holding has always been an interest of mine. I know of no other snake with their "fat short" body. At 1 point my family was the biggest rescue between L.A. and Sacramento that we knew of. Of course there were breeders and collectors with far larger populations that we maintained.

OK story time......When my son was just 2 we were at the lake with family, Pine Flat. Of course the kids want to go snake hunting with uncle Dana. It wasn't but 10 min. and my son was standing inches away from a rattlesnake, not by design. With three kids in tow and trying to look out for all of them, I missed seeing this snake. I immediately jerked my son up on to my shoulders, It was all I could think to do. Now with a 2 yr. old on my shoulders and my niece and nephew standing in PURE fear what to do. Of course I pinned then grabbed the snake to show the rest of the family. As we walked through the campground everyone who saw what was happening was gasping. A dad in 1 of the camps runs over to me and says " Holy @#$% how did you catch that" I responding without even thinking "Well it just jumped up into my hands." As I walked away with his perplexed look and told the kids come on, he was at a loss for words. I tell this story because of the fear people have of an animal with no legs. It seems that they all believe snakes can fly, jump, run after you, and all kinds of other non-sense.
It seems to me that instead of being sarcastic and walking off when those people expressed their shock and awe, you could have told them to never try handling venomous snakes themselves, and that most snakes are non-venomous, and that all snakes deserve to be treated with respect and not unreasoning terror.