Golden-Rod Thermo-Electric Dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I was going through some boxes the other day and found 3 of these that I had picked up last year at an auction, at the time I was thinking tortoises not guns, well anyway I set one up in a small enclosure with a top and very moist substrate,It is very warm and humid inside the enclosure without using any other heat source, the surface of the substrate is 83 degrees. I hung it out of reach of the tortoise using suction cups.It's 15 watts and 12 inches long and the max temp is 150 degrees.The top is not sealed tight to allow for air exchange so moisture is getting out but slowly. I think it's going to work. Time will tell.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
ascott said:
Doesn't it dry out the air? I am likely thinking of the wrong thing??? :p
You are thinking of the right thing, they are made to remove moisture from gun safes and other areas where long term moisture may do damage to certain items, an incandescent bulb or CHE does the same thing, but with a more harsh heat that dries the tortoises shell out to quickly.These work with a gentle heat that keeps the air circulating like an oil filled radiator heater. They wouldn't work on an open top enclosure. I was wrong about the wattage on the one I setup it is 8 watts not 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.