Best lamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Which would be the best lamp for the mega ray 120 watts? I am currently using Exo Terra 2052 glow lamp which is not strong enough for my bulb, it's only good upto 100 watts unless I had the Exo Terra 2054 which is good upto 150 watts. I want something with the clip on to my enclosure like my current one.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
The Mega Ray and all MVBs need to have the bulb face parallel to the substrate for both safety (the angle of the light in the tortoise's eyes) and bulb longevity. Also, your tort will not get as much UVB with it at an angle. You should not clip these to the enclosure per the manufacturer.

I recommend buying a lamp stand to clip the hood fixture to (the hood fixure should come with a clamp, or should have a hangar). The hood should have a ceramic socket, and be as deep and large in diameter as you can find. 10 inch diameter is ideal, but then you tend to not have them as deep as it is tough if not impossible to find both depth and diameter. You will figure out what you like best after some trial and error. I like mine that is 10 inch diameter but not as deep, so the bulb sticks out, as it gives off a better radius of light, not as focused. Other people hate these as if they are at eye level in a room they may hurt the human's eyes, and will therefore sacrifice diameter for depth. You can get a hood fixture at a pet store or hardware store. Just be careful to get a ceramic socket rated higher than bulb wattage. At pet stores, lamp stands are about $20 (I like the Large ZooMed one), and black hood fixtures are about $15. The silver hood fixtures at hardware stores are about $8.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
I dont know how high your ceiling is but I get a planter hook, its a hook that screws into your ceiling, and hang a chain down and conect to the lamp. You just have to make sure its not too close or too far away. As for the lamp, where I am, the domes come in basically small medium and large. With the Mercury Vapor Bulbs I use the medium one. I agree with Kate, my bulb sticks out a little and I do like it better this way. But absolutely make sure you get one with a ceramic socket. The older ones that my parents used like 10 years ago I dont believe were ceramic.

Status
Not open for further replies.