Baby African Tortoises

Zeko

5 Year Member
No need to mix substrates, but you can if you want to. I prefer orchid bark for sulcatas.

I would not use a heat mat. CHE with a thermostat, as it says in the care sheet...

BroBrian, baby kittens around the world are literally dieing because this post. These kittens do not deserve this!

Please just follow the advice given in this thread. We've told you what was needed and we will be happy to link to items or write an explanation on why you should use them.

So once again: NO, an under-tank heat pad is NOT acceptable. Tortoises do not have a way to base heat on Under-Side temperatures, only Top-Side temperatures.

Last edited:

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Wow. Young man you are getting a crash course in tortoise care! That's good , at least you are searching and asking questions - too many do not and by the time the tort is a few years old major damage has been done.
Sulcata are a very interesting tort , grow very fast , and have amazing personalities ( if you can call them that). They don't need friends with another one - and the space needed for 2 is twice or more what one needs. If you think about it , you might be much better off to find another home for one of them and put your effort into creating the right environment for the other.
It's not just the space , right now they are babies. But soon they will get territorial and one will be dominant. This can even make the submissive one sick with stress.

It has been mentioned already , but let me give you my experience. Books, articles, blogs, websites have good, but often conflicting information. Like every other science , tortoise care has advanced rapidly in the last few years.

Those on this forum are on the leading edge. You will find that pet store employees are not. They a generalists , and often have done zero research.

The people here who are giving advice are experienced , have made their progress by trial and error , and all love these shelled wonders. You would do well to heed their advice.

You are young ( at least to me :). But your sully could still outlive you. You may tire of his care in a short time , or have him all your life - who knows. But a good healthy start in life is critical for these creatures.

We on this forum all know that there are way too many of these babies that don't make it , or grow in pain and suffering because their owners do not provide the unique environments for health. Don't get overwhelmed - it can be daunting at first , but not impossible. Once the right micro climates are set it goes very smoothly. With a bit of effort and experience you could be one who joins this leading edge and one day helps others too.
Good fortune to you and them
Mike

brobrian

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach, Ca
Nope i figuredb lol . My tortoises had diaherra an i think they ate their own poo. Thier mouth was covered. There poo was black