Good House?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
I got my red foot a new bin house and I was wondering from everybody if it was good or not?

image-3004241012.png

image-2753946971.png

image-2750587255.png

image-1109532985.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi JonahQKline:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

Your tortoise looks pretty big to be in that habitat. In my opinion, he should be in something much bigger. Its a nice habitat, just too small for that particular tortoise.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You could connect 3 bins together (cut end off of 1st bin, door in second and 'nest' them, and repeat with other end of 2nd bin and 3rd bin). They would be in a line the long way. Your Redfoot does need a bit more room, but you are on the right track!

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
You could connect 3 bins together (cut end off of 1st bin, door in second and 'nest' them, and repeat with other end of 2nd bin and 3rd bin). They would be in a line the long way. Your Redfoot does need a bit more room, but you are on the right track!

Well I really want him to be happy and everything :) But I currently don't have the money to fill three whole bins of bedding? I currently use Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber as my Bottom layer and Coconut Husk as my Top. Now too keep the humidity leveled and everything, this for some reason the bedding I currently use really works for some reason...I really like your Idea and wanted to do that. But currently this is what I have. Any suggestions? A Tort table Isn't an option due to having some space to make one.

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi JonahQKline:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

Your tortoise looks pretty big to be in that habitat. In my opinion, he should be in something much bigger. Its a nice habitat, just too small for that particular tortoise.

He is actually still a child. But he is growing out of that hidding spot. Biggest one out there.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well, just do the best you can for him, sounds like you have the humidity set up well. When you can, think about adding a second bin and connecting them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You could go and buy a second tote and attach as suggested...take all of your substrate you have now and set it aside, you can then add good ole fashion dirt and a bag of organic soil and mix that up then use the substrate you set aside as the top finishing layer...this will allow you the additional space he really will appreciate while you not spending anything additional really for the substrate and you will still be able to maintain the humidity you have... :D

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
I agree with ascott, use it as top mulch layer and give the little guy some more room to roam, the more the better. Or just use a different cheaper substrate in the new container.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
If you are trying to keep the cost of bedding down try buying at a Lowes or Home Depot. I use mulch for about $3-4 a bag and mix with peat moss that is about $10 a bag. By mixing those two bags you would have enough to fill that tote to the top and then some! Would be more than enough! I never buy substrate at the pet store! Just be careful what you get at the home store no dyes, fertilizers or pesticide added.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
You can make hides out of just about anything. Tupperware bowls, planter pots, etc. The log hides are nice, but they can be expensive. You will be surprised what your tort will use as a hide. Even just some plants in a corner that he can get under, will help. You are on the right track. I didn't see mention how big your tort was, but if this is a permanent enclosure, then bigger is always better. If it is a temporary inside enclosure, then you will have to be the judge of the space you have available and the space that he needs.

Hope this helps and Good job

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
DixieParadise said:
You can make hides out of just about anything. Tupperware bowls, planter pots, etc. The log hides are nice, but they can be expensive. You will be surprised what your tort will use as a hide. Even just some plants in a corner that he can get under, will help. You are on the right track. I didn't see mention how big your tort was, but if this is a permanent enclosure, then bigger is always better. If it is a temporary inside enclosure, then you will have to be the judge of the space you have available and the space that he needs.

Hope this helps and Good job

How do you make a hide out of a planter pot? I mean I have done that before and he likes it, but when he want to get out of the pot he will scrape his shell? Can you somehow get a hole in it?

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
herpgirl24 said:
If you are trying to keep the cost of bedding down try buying at a Lowes or Home Depot. I use mulch for about $3-4 a bag and mix with peat moss that is about $10 a bag. By mixing those two bags you would have enough to fill that tote to the top and then some! Would be more than enough! I never buy substrate at the pet store! Just be careful what you get at the home store no dyes, fertilizers or pesticide added.

Actually I could do that! :D thanks

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
JonahQKline said:
How do you make a hide out of a planter pot? I mean I have done that before and he likes it, but when he want to get out of the pot he will scrape his shell? Can you somehow get a hole in it?

Yes, definitely look at home supply stores for substrate. Look for topsoil (not potting soil, it has little pieces of vermiculite), organic. Not hard to find.
You can take a plastic or ceramic pot, and just turn it on its side with the wide end facing the enclosure. Submerge it in the substrate, and pile more inside and around it. And/or, you can go to the dollar store and get an opaque plastic container big enough for your tort to turn around in. Cut a door in the side and snap the lid on. Submerge, fill partially with substrate. Nice thing about the plastic hide is that you could add some sphagnum moss inside and keep it moist for extra humidity, especially if near (not under) the basking light. Then the overturned pot could be in another area.
Voila!

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Yes, definitely look at home supply stores for substrate. Look for topsoil (not potting soil, it has little pieces of vermiculite), organic. Not hard to find.
You can take a plastic or ceramic pot, and just turn it on its side with the wide end facing the enclosure. Submerge it in the substrate, and pile more inside and around it. And/or, you can go to the dollar store and get an opaque plastic container big enough for your tort to turn around in. Cut a door in the side and snap the lid on. Submerge, fill partially with substrate. Nice thing about the plastic hide is that you could add some sphagnum moss inside and keep it moist for extra humidity, especially if near (not under) the basking light. Then the overturned pot could be in another area.
Voila!

Thank you for your suggestions :) I am going to actually around February, am going to do the 2 bin thing (not enough room for 3) and plant plants for extra hides. Do you know any plants I can plant or recommend?

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Exactly what Lynne said. They are really easy to make and you will see that on this forum...we spare no imagination. Good luck to you again and Welcome.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
JonahQKline said:
Thank you for your suggestions :) I am going to actually around February, am going to do the 2 bin thing (not enough room for 3) and plant plants for extra hides. Do you know any plants I can plant or recommend?

Yes, spider plant (a good one, as it is like a 'grass' and nice to hide under), pothos, xmas cactus, aloe, others I can't think of right off the bat. Keep the plant in its pot and submerge the pot in the substrate.
A good source for safe plants-
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.