good idea or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edgerton, Minnesota
I am getting 2 redfoots in a month or so. I am in the stages of designing their enclosures. Now I have read for an adult redfoot their enclosures need to be 8'x4'. We plan to house them together so that would be a very big indoor enclosure to have sitting in my house. I was thinking about an idea and have drawn it up, it looks like it would work great for space; for both my house and the tortoises. My plan was
building a tortoise table 8'x4' about a foot off my floor, building supports on all corners 2 on the back wall which would be the 8 foot side and 1 on both the 4 foot sides. Stacking another tortoise table the same size as bottom one on the top of the supports about 2 or 3 feet above the other one, building a ramp the long way up to the top "story" of their enclosure. Which would give them 64 sqft of room in their entire encloseure. The top story would be the basking area, feeding, water, and have lots of plants and a few hiding spots, while the bottom one would be the cooler one with nice, edible plants that can grown without alot of sun, and more hiding spots. Also..I am planning on bulding something that they will both fit in as adults living together. Would I beable to build a smaller size of this same set up and it still be big enough for them as adults? Also is this setup something that would work for them or not.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It sounds like an interesting idea. I would worry that with that long of a ramp, they won't bother to negotiate it too often. Also, based on my own experiences, it is amazingly tricky to find the right materials to use on a ramp to offer traction and keep it easy to clean.

I am also thinking about trying to clean this. On the bottom level, you'll be working in a pretty tight space, and on the top level, dealing with the difficulties of the height.

As an alternative to consider, how about a 'loft'- make a 8x4 table, then put a removable 3x4 table on one end about 10" above it, and rig the space under it as a big hide?

As far as 'is this big enough?'- would they have access to a big outdoor pen? If so, then they can tolerate some crowding over the winter and 8x4 would be fine for 2.

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
I almost went with the 2 story with ramp idea... I don't have Redfoots, though - I have one yearling Sulcata. After much thought about stuff like space, clean-ability, use-ability for Sheldon, etc... I decided to make the loft table like Mark was talking about. I am in the process of creating traction for Sheldon's ramp, so he'll want to use it. As of yet, he wants nothing to do with it. The underside hide and space creates an awesome humid area, too.

I'll post a pic if it helps. :)

Congrats on your new additions, too!!

Sheldonsetup.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
couldn't you put little strips of wood across the ramp for traction. I am also thinking about building something like you have and was going to put strips of wood on the ramp.

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
Oh, yeah - little strips of wood (one member suggested Popsicle sticks!), wood strips alone or mix that with some traction tape (like a shingle), twigs, rope, (I've seen carpet, but I worry about them eating it or getting little nails stuck), etc.

I plan on using twigs in some fashion. I stumbled across a photo months ago on Google that showed the twig idea perfectly - the person had sawed each twig in half and tacked them flat side down one after the other all the way up the ramp. If I don't get my hands on a saw that will do it quickly within the next couple of days, I plan on using my already gathered and treated twigs with some hemp rope and weave the twigs closely together and then nail it down for added strength. I even made a special trip to the store the other night for small balsa wood sticks or dowel rods and completely struck out... the store was sold out of all of it.

Ok... I found the picture that hooked me on the twig idea. (Please keep in mind that I did not take the picture, I found this image on Google - it's not mine.) I do love the idea, and wish I could give kudos to the people who made the enclosure, though!

I had mine built to copy that twig idea, up the ramp, and as a banister barrier, too. :D

Too cool!!
Indoorhabitat2.png

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I LOVE the addition! I think ill try the same on my table, excellent idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.