1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoise Room/Enclosure Brain Storming Session

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosures' started by theguy67, Dec 1, 2016.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. theguy67

theguy67 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

So I am in the process of liberating my former reptile room from being a storage building. I'm not sure how beneficial it would be for tortoises, so I thought about running it by some of you first.

The building is 14x7ft insulated. It is connected to a 14x14 windowed room with dirt floor which the redfoots have access to all year. Their pen wraps around this building, making an L shape.

The room as 3 main shelves built in. Bottom is 12 feet long, and the top 2 are around 8 feet, with all being 18 inches deep. I'm not sure how these dimensions would work for a tortoise table. I'm just trying to determine their potential. I would also like an area to grow plants in the winter.

The floor can also be utilized to keep adults in the winter.

Tell me what you would do!

IMG_2443.JPG
  2. Prognathodon

Prognathodon New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    NE Illinois
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    If you want to grow shorter plants, you could do it on some of the shelves - just add LED lights on the under sides of the next shelves up.
  3. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator

Location (City and/or State):
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    If your going to bred or already are, then I would make the middle shelf into a couple enclosures for little ones. Plants on the top shelf and clear out the stuff on the floor, make a couple spots under the bottom most shelf into warm humid hides and the rest of the floor tortoise space.
    saginawhxc likes this.