Tortoise Room?

DimplyBean

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hi All,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on my tortoise set up.

I currently have my tortoise (med. spur thighed) in a tortoise table (apologies, I'm not currently at home so can't send dimensions!)

It's an ok sized table, however my tortoise is getting quite big now (around 8 inches in length) and he's wanting to be out of his table more and more.

I keep him enriched with toys and his own indoor garden (a little patch of grown greens for him to munch and forage on), as well as summer trips at my parents who have a large garden for us to roam around in (I section off a different areas for him to explore but still be safe).

My question is, would it be ok for him to have his own room to just roam in, rather than having to put him away every evening/when I'm out? The room I'd like to put him in doesn't have a door so I was hoping to set up a baby gate (would also help me keeping an eye on him), and setting up a stand with his UVB and heat lamp for him to go under when he needs to.

What do we think?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, his own room is a good idea and is recommended to anyone that keeps a tort inside and doesn't have room for proper size enclosure, and as long as you set it up for him like you would his enclosure.
Be sure nothing electric can be knocked over and start a fire.

DimplyBean

Manchester
Yes, his own room is a good idea and is recommended to anyone that keeps a tort inside and doesn't have room for proper size enclosure, and as long as you set it up for him like you would his enclosure.
Be sure nothing electric can be knocked over and start a fire.
Amazing thank you! I'll make sure to attach the lights sturdy and in a way so he can't knock them down

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on my tortoise set up.

I currently have my tortoise (med. spur thighed) in a tortoise table (apologies, I'm not currently at home so can't send dimensions!)

It's an ok sized table, however my tortoise is getting quite big now (around 8 inches in length) and he's wanting to be out of his table more and more.

I keep him enriched with toys and his own indoor garden (a little patch of grown greens for him to munch and forage on), as well as summer trips at my parents who have a large garden for us to roam around in (I section off a different areas for him to explore but still be safe).

My question is, would it be ok for him to have his own room to just roam in, rather than having to put him away every evening/when I'm out? The room I'd like to put him in doesn't have a door so I was hoping to set up a baby gate (would also help me keeping an eye on him), and setting up a stand with his UVB and heat lamp for him to go under when he needs to.

What do we think?
I always harp on people about not letting them roam "loose in the house" because that usually ends in disaster of one sort or another. Well if you convert the whole room into a tortoise enclosure, then he's not "loose". He's in his enclosure! Problem solved.

I've done this before and here are some problems to contend with and solve:
1. You'll want to protect the walls, as the rubbing will take a toll.
2. Same with the floor.
3. The floor is cold. You may be able to solve this problem with a Kane heat mat, or by warming the whole room and whatever room is under this room, or by making a raised floor.
4. You need a visual barrier at the door, not a baby gate that can bee seen through. You only need it to be 12-16 inches tall, so it will be easy for you to step over.
5. Your tortoise needs a water bowl and damp substrate. This water on the floor will rot through eventually. You'll need something to waterproof the floor.
6. Don't let pets or people use this room anymore. Human activities do things that kill tortoises.

Good luck setting it all up and post pics for us to see when you are done. Should be a fun project!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Tom already mentioned a lot of good things to keep in mind, but just remember, the temperature of the floor is much colder & draftier than one thinks. Make sure you create a few microclimates in areas. Be careful of any floor vents that you have - automatic fans blow lots of cool air.

What kind of heating does your house use? I figure that you will be augmenting* the heat source in a few ways.

Good luck