good plants for an RT in Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Hey there team tortoise.

I want to plant some weeds/grasses and possibly some flower things in my RT's home. He's still a tiny little hatchling and is indoor most of the time but I figure having some stuff planted in his indoor enclosure will give him something to roam through and munch on. It should also give him another micro-climate as I figure itll be a bit cooler in the planted stuffs. Maybe? Maybe not. Anyway.

His substrate is coconut fiber and I was planning on putting in a layer of potting soil underneath the coconut fiber to plant things into. My biggest question is what should I plant for him? Obviously I have access to the same lists of edible plants as the rest of you but my real question is what are some good hardy plants that will do ok in the Arizona climate. I realize I just said these will be indoor but I tend to kill plants. Actually I've only ever had one plant to care for. It was a cactus in a pot. It died. I really just need some help finding some good hardy deserty plants that will be hard for me to kill that he will also be safe with.

Here are some pictures of Yorty.

Being glamorous...
2012-08-22 17.53.53.jpg

Being a nommers...
2012-08-22 18.07.57.jpg

Being Mr. Grumpers...
2012-08-21 08.40.22.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the help team.

Last edited by a moderator:

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Just plant some bird seed for grass :) that's what I did! :D

Attachments

• image-3669617701.png
    image-3669617701.png
    947.8 KB · Views: 15

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
TortoiseBoy is right, a russian tortoise seed mix would be great for you baby. Hibiscus do really well in AZ and are one of the favorite foods of all tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.