Good Substrate? And Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew71888

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Colony Tx
I did not attend theexpo today...but tommorrow i will, So i need to buy a heat lamp. Is 100 Watts ok? And wat is UVA? What is good substrate to mix with eco earth? Is there any other light fixtures that i need to buy? I already have UVb.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
i got the eco earth but i wont use it... it just got mixed up with there food and i would find strings from it hanging out of my torts rear opening... and no he wasnt eating the substance... it just so many fine hairs they get on his feet and he rubs his face and so on

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I am not sure about all the fancy light stuff....

My bulbs were giving to me..sorry

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
o ok then, then wat is a good substrate? I need Hercules to burrow so he can stay warm during the night

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
andrew71888 said:
o ok then, then wat is a good substrate? I need Hercules to burrow so he can stay warm during the night

I use orchard Grass---- petsmart will carry it.. in the rabbit section

and use a red bulb at night.. i would say about 75 watts

You got a over head light?

whats you set up look like by the way?

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
terracolson said:
andrew71888 said:

I use orchard Grass---- petsmart will carry it.. in the rabbit section

and use a red bulb at night.. i would say about 75 watts

You got a over head light?

whats you set up look like by the way?

O i heard that is good but i also heard that eco earth with play sand is great humidity. Well its a simple two story tank i hand made. Later i will change his tank.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well i have a grass flat in mine that helps on humidity!

plus my house is old concrete adobe and is very humid...

Now i dont have a sulcata, i have a leopard tortoise, but peat moss is also a option.. it holds humidity and doesnt have those nasty strings...

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
go small the first time..

i bought the 3 bricks and now i got it all left over!!!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Cypress mulch is another option, that will allow him to burrow as well as holding humidity.

On the bulb thing... I remember seeing your enclosure pics, and the UVB bulb looked like a coil/compact fluorescent type--correct me if I'm wrong? Anyway, if it is, you may want to bypass the basking bulb and go for a full blown Mercury Vapor bulb, which emits UVB as well as heat... Those coil bulbs have a habit of causing some serious eye problems in reptiles. MVBs generally have a much better UVB output, anyway.

Hope this helps some! =)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
MVBs are upwards of $40, but last 12 months and only use one fixture. So in the long run, with my calculations they were cheaper as well as being better for the tort. Get a 100 Watt T-Rex or Mega Ray as that is the suitable wattage for all but the largest torts, the best brands for output and bulb quality. You need a wide and deep ceramic socket hood fixture as well as a lamp stand to hang the fixture on (and/or clamp it) so you can raise and lower it. Bulb face must be parallel to the substrate. Best wishes.

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
O i didnt find one but i did get a new tortoise! He is about 1 month old! And him and Hercules are great

M

Maggie Cummings

I would use cypress mulch and a 100 watt Trex bulb. I have a few small tortoises and they are on cypress mulch, it holds humidity well. Or creates it I guess I should say. It's just a great substrate any way I try to say it...and I use the trex bulbs...

Matty5974

5 Year Member
I have a 6 yr old little girl and have found that Cypress works the best.
Holds the moisture and allows for burrowing!
I would also recoment using a Mercury Vapor Bulb for day basking but replace it after 6 months max!
Unfortunatly they are $$$ but in the long run provide the best penetration. My girl basks under it for hours at a time!!!

savanna

5 Year Member
I have a comment on using cypress mulch I am a landscaper and we use that spreading that around the plants have any of you ever got the mulch stuck in your hands or even a sliver in your eyes. I was just wondering how does it feel to a tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Savanna:

I have not noticed that the cypress mulch is splintery or slivery. I pour a glass of water in the habitat every other morning or so, then I mix it up with my bare hand. I've never encountered a problem with doing that.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I wondered the same thing, how does the stuff tyler sells feel?

Wood chippy?

Status
Not open for further replies.