Goodbye Leo

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane42096

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Last night I came home to my little Leo flipped over and dead. My concern is to how he got upside down. I think he might have flipped and then managed to get to the middle of his enclosure. He was a baby that we got back in April, maybe 3-4 inches in length.

My wife is devastated, and its not our fault that he did flip over and pass away. I want to get her one for christmas but the reptile show is in February. Can anyone refer a good website that they trust, or a user on here that would sell a quality baby and ship well? Thank you so much.

RIP Leo, you will be missed dearly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for your loss. It's very sad. Some times unfortunately these things happen. I don't know if they have any for sale or not, but check with Tom, Neal, there are others I can't think of at the moment, but someone one will.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sorry to hear how you lost your Leo. As babies, torts can flip and if and left like that for even a couple of hours, they can suffocate because their lungs are located in their high backs. Flipped over puts too much pressure on their small lungs. Not being able to turn over, they also have no access to water and can die from dehydration and cold temps. Your next baby should be watched every so often to prevent this from happening again.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Sorry for your loss. Even a small tortoises leaves a huge hole in our lives once gone!!

As for another, be very careful having one shipped. It really is a bad time of year to get one shipped, especially to any northern states. Not only the temperatures, but the busy shipping season. I have babies here (not leos) that I can't ship until spring. It may be best to wait.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Id got with an older one... less likely that this would happen... :-(
How long was he upside down? under the heat?

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Email theturtlesource they will ship to you for Christmas if you order before the 20th. There prompt with there responses and will ship this time of year.

tickle

5 Year Member
I wouldn't ship to pennsilvania this time of year especially with a desert tort.if you get a hatchling Russian I would ship him or a Easter boxies but as for a leopard u are asking for a sick tort.try tortoise supply they have great packaging and shipping practices my star came and it was cold out and the box was still 87 degrees and the packaging was top notch best of any shipper I have ever seen.they also have hachling Russians.I no u can get Russians and redfoots at pet store in pennsilvania but the are over 4 inches and wild fought.I am so sorry to hear about you're loss.get a pancake tortoise they never flip a d are cool looking torts. Maybe someone in Penn is a breeder and u can pick up I will look around for u I live in Jersey.Ny hero's is a state away and has what u need u can make a road trip to pick one up and not have him go threw shipping a d the cold also u can make a day of it and stop in the city for a spell.what a christmass present she will love it.gl
m

shane42096

5 Year Member
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Would just like to let everyone know that we ordered a sulcata tortoise last night from tortoise supply! I'll post pictures when he gets here tomorrow morning!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
So happy for you!

I got my Hermann's from Tortoise Supply and she is healthy and beautiful. You did good- Tyler is great to deal with and has beautiful healthy animals.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Paul my Greek came from Tyler at tortoise supply also. They are great people to work with and definitely deserve all the good comments they get on here!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Carl is also from tortoise supply. I was fully prepared to have him soak and put him right in his enclosure where he wouldn't do much for a few days... he came out rearing to go and was eating within the first five minutes. That is not just because Carl is a pig, it's because he was a very well cared for hatchling and shipped with all the necessary precautions.

If I ever get another tortoise baby, I will be going through tortoise supply.

Good luck with your new little one!! Hopefully he/she stays nice and warm during shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.