Gopher Tortoise Digestion

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, you overlap the little triangles so you end up with a smooth cut.

Berkeley

Eucalyptus is toxic so don't allow her to eat it.

Also, I would check with the legality of having a gopher tortoise in California. Even though they are not native there, I don't believe you are allowed to own one at all -anywhere- without a permit.

Good luck getting the beak trimmed up!
--Berkeley

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In California, you have to apply for a permit from the Department of Fish and Wildlife (California), and it's ok to have as many as you want. They don't distinguish between the different gopherus, it's all gopherus tortoises. Any of the SoCal chapters of California Turtle and Tortoise Club can get it permitted for you, otherwise you would ask the Cal. Department of Fish and Wildlife for the permit application. In the space asking where you got it, you would say something like, "The tortoise has been in our family since 1968." Under species you can just put gopher tortoise.

Lauren Tilbury

5 Year Member
Huntington Beach, California
Hi, KevinGG. So I am scared to trim her beak. I don't know why. I think I need to see a video on it exactly.
And, update. She pooped out four more sponges. I am hoping that is all there is.
My theory is that when my uncle was in the hospital for about six weeks, she woke up and was hungry. I'm guessing there was no food and she ate the foam.
Could I be wrong?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Hi, KevinGG. So I am scared to trim her beak. I don't know why. I think I need to see a video on it exactly.
And, update. She pooped out four more sponges. I am hoping that is all there is.
My theory is that when my uncle was in the hospital for about six weeks, she woke up and was hungry. I'm guessing there was no food and she ate the foam.
Could I be wrong?

If you google "tortoise beak trimming", you'll find a few videos and picture guides.

About the sponges, that sounds very possible.

Lauren Tilbury

5 Year Member
Huntington Beach, California
So I took her to the vet and she had an X-ray. They couldn't find anything in her stomach. She said they wouldn't see a sponge. I don't know why. The vet trimmed her beak a little more. She likes to sit in my lap. I'm assuming it's for the body heat. She was on my lap for over an hour.