1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Gopher tortoise

Discussion in 'North American Tortoises (genus Gopherus)' started by Kurosoii, May 4, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Kurosoii

Kurosoii New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Mexico
    I live in Mexico, i recently found a dehydrated tortoise outside my home, i live in a closed off residence so it has to belong to someone. I posted a picture online and people are telling me it's a Gopher tortoise and others say its a Sulcata because a Gopher tortoise in Mexico is unlikely. I live in a LA style city theres nothing nature related nearby, there's no way it could have wandered from a natural habitat. They're saying i could go to prison for helping an endangered species. I have no clue what to do. I can't let it out because it'll most likely get run over o something similar.

236EE4B4-3C4A-4A5C-A9CB-4B941484C2A7.jpeg
    Cathie G likes this.
  2. SweetGreekTorts

SweetGreekTorts Well-Known Member

Tucson, AZ
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Definitely not a Sulcata. Can you get more pictures? Closer up of the head and limbs, and a plastron shot. Those will help us see every angle and have a better idea.

And ignore the drama-filled Facebook. Way too many less experienced keepers who think they know everything and throw their opinions everywhere.
    Cndlou0309 and Cathie G like this.
  3. Cathie G

Cathie G Well-Known Member

Lancaster
    The poor animal doesn't look like a gopher either from the picture. A gopher has a rounder body. You are probably right about an escapee.
    Cndlou0309 likes this.
  4. Kurosoii

Kurosoii New Member

Mexico
    BCC1CDF7-05B0-49D7-8BE4-68F96164A5C8.jpeg E99DC6FA-2276-42C6-9321-ABEE975E3648.jpeg 3D2507D9-2E65-4EDD-BE0C-071D0A7C10B8.jpeg
    Cathie G and jsheffield like this.
  5. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    It looks like a Male Gopher to me.
    But rather rough around the edges.
    Not like this female Florida Gopher that I got out of our parking structure at my old job.

Attached Files:

Cndlou0309 and Cathie G like this.
  6. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin

Clovis, CA
    When you see "gopher" it usually means Florida and nearby states. This tortoise is definitely one of the gopherus species, and there are two gopherus species in Mexico. My first impression was Gopherus berlandieri, or Texas tortoise. I'm unfamiliar with Mexico's laws pertaining to indigenous tortoises,, but I doubt you'll get into trouble in this situation.
  7. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Southern California
    What part of Mexico? The dry west, like Baja, or the humid east like Monterrey?

Either way, give the little guy a warm soak and offer some weeds or grass to eat. The St. Augustine grass in your pic would be great food for him if its not treated with chemicals.
    Cndlou0309, ZEROPILOT and Cathie G like this.
  8. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    That is a Gopherus berlandieri. The forked gulars of the male is pretty indicitive of G. berlandieri.

They do naturally extend down quite a ways into Mexico, with their range covering a good part of NE Mexico. What city in Mexico do you live in?
    Michael231, Cndlou0309 and Cathie G like this.
  9. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman New Member

Fort Lauderdale Florida
  10. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator

CA
    I am not an expert on Mexican law, but I doubt the federales are looking for you.
    method89 likes this.
  11. MichaelL

MichaelL Member

Ocala, Fl
    Male berlander's tortoise aka texas tortoise.
  12. Michael231

Michael231 Member

California
    Agree with most others that it looks like an adult Texas (Berlandiers) tortoise (Gopherus berlandieri).

I’m not familiar with what ranking that species has in Mexico on their Endangered Species List, but you’ll be fine caring for it for now.