Gopher tortoise?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
It might be the law... I guess I don't see what's wrong with helping a tortoise across the road. Even if it is endangered. I think it has a better chance of surviving if someone picks it up and helps it rather than letting it get squashed. Hopefully no one will get arrested for saving a torts life. ;) dmmj, please don't take offense, didn't mean to slam you in any way, just voicing my thoughts. :) :<3::tort:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
It might be the law... I guess I don't see what's wrong with helping a tortoise across the road. Even if it is endangered. I think it has a better chance of surviving if someone picks it up and helps it rather than letting it get squashed. Hopefully no one will get arrested for saving a torts life. ;) dmmj, please don't take offense, didn't mean to slam you in any way, just voicing my thoughts. :) :<3::tort:
Here in AZ it can cost $5000.00 for just petting a desert tort . But you do what you think is best !

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I do not offend easily. I'm just trying to make sure the law is known so no one gets in trouble that's why I'm going to check it out and see what it is I don't know of any exception that's why I'm curious.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Wait... you can get a permit for free??? Then I wouldn't have to break any laws. Now that's the way to go. ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think any state charges for the permits

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Wait... you can get a permit for free??? Then I wouldn't have to break any laws. Now that's the way to go. ;)
The way I found out is I wanted some game fish for my fish pond in the back yard and my wife called fish and game and they said I would need a permit . And my wife said no she would buy a permit for me . So we talked and I told her Evan if it cost $300.00 that's less then a dollar a day ! And I wanted it so I went to fish and game . So I went and they said the permitt was free , it's for tracking purposes . I told them they could brack up a marriage not telling us from the start that it was free ! But never got the fish or the permit !

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Where would you keep one, if you got it? I'm just asking because you've said you can't get anything bigger for the Russian you have.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
It's actually extremely unlikely that I'll get a gopher tortoise at this time... but I've always had a dream of finding one and putting it in my back yard. That way, it could leave it if it wanted (there are many ways to escape my backyard, thus the reason my russian is not living there) but if it wanted to stay, it could. It's honestly just a dream, because if I were to adopt a gopher tortoise I'm pretty darn sure I couldn't just pick one up from the wild and say "I adopted him!". ;) And again, to be completely honest, I can't afford to do any sort of elaborate enclosure outdoors right now.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Nothing wrong with dreaming!!!!, and I totally respect that answer.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm going to have to look up the law. I am unaware of any exception to the law.

I checked myself and my memory on both the Ca. And Az. fish and wildlife sites and yes, if the tortoise is in the roadway/in danger of vehicle traffic then you can come to its aid across the road to recommended 100 yard distance from the roadway....just saying.

Berkeley

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think any state charges for the permits

Georgia DNR charges $59 yearly for the Wildlife Exhibition Permit that would allow an organization or an individual to house a gopher. BUT, you also have to use it for a minimum number of education program hours per year, and some other things.

--Berkeley