10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Very interesting

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
My first introduction to a tortoise was in Jacksonville, Florida, when I happened upon a large gopher tortoise on a nature preserve, not too far from where you were in St. Augustine. Gopher tortoises are considered a threatened species here in Florida and are protected. It's pretty cool that you happened to encounter one!

surfergirl

what a treat to see! there is one that has a burrow near my aunts house in Deltona. I get to see his activity pattern every time I visit her. so cool to watch him roam and eat all day! I hope fla can keep these guys safe and building in numbers, I like to see the wild native tortoises thriving !

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My first introduction to a tortoise was in Jacksonville, Florida, when I happened upon a large gopher tortoise on a nature preserve, not too far from where you were in St. Augustine. Gopher tortoises are considered a threatened species here in Florida and are protected. It's pretty cool that you happened to encounter one!

Yes, the neat thing is that we were lucky enough to spot this guy a few times as he scurried very quickly through our grassy garden and back. I never did see his burrow, but he was always covered in sand.