GOPHERUS GUY

Gopherus Guy

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, California
He is probably fine eating a lot of flowers as long as they are yours and not someone else's pride and joy. Ours loves yellow roses.

The biggest thing to worry about is if he can possibly find or dig an escape route. It happens...We met lots of neighbors when our Shellby was checking to see how dedicated we are going to be about maintaining his perimeter. He escaped about 5 times the first year. Now he stays...good tortoise / or fence.

Lazy is ok too. When he decides to be active you'll be surprised how fast he seems to disappear when you look away for 10 minutes. Ya get that knot in your gut of Oh gees where is he, then the sudden relief of - Oh of course he is right there - . Welcome to tortoise ownership.

What do you use for his water?
I have a large drop tray about an inch deep. He's drank a few times and it is at soil level. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many, many! Do you have a question?

Gopherus Guy

San Diego, California
Yes. He was given to the Turtle and Tortoise Society about 3-months ago and was at a home about 10-miles East of me that's all I know. My experience with Desert Tortoises comes from my youth-we had many. Growing up in San Diego they were rather common amongst neighbors. It's fun to have another one, he's such a character. And happy roaming my backyard.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome he is gorgeous!
There may be a caresheet available to tell you all about diet etc .
Also www.thetortoisetable.og.uk will help you ID tort safe plants.