Grass seed

Señor Tortuga

Location (City and/or State)
Nitro, WV
I just bought some grass seed from the local feed store. It is horse pasture seed and is therefore free of neophytes I'm assured. There is however a pink coating on some of the seeds and I don't know what that stuff is. Can anyone tell me? Is the stuff safe? Also I could just grab some plugs out of my yard. My house was built in the 1950s so I'm sure whatever weeds are here are just weeds. I don't spray for anything either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what the pink stuff is either. On one hand, if it was sold for horses to eat, it should be okay, but what if it isn't? What if the feed store bought the wrong kind and they are selling it without really knowing what they are doing. Human incompetence and mistakes abound in our society, unfortunately.

Personally, I would not risk it. I'd get a grass seed mix that I know is safe. Tyler and Sarah at Tortoisesupply.com sell several excellent mixes, and I know they are safe because I've been feeding it to hundreds of hatchlings every year, as well as their parents. I also use this one and love it: https://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html

Some weeds are toxic. You'll need to identify each and every one before allowing your tortoise access to it.

And welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post. We have an introduction section in the forum and we'd love to know more about you and your tortoises. :)

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
I don't know what the pink stuff is either. On one hand, if it was sold for horses to eat, it should be okay, but what if it isn't? What if the feed store bought the wrong kind and they are selling it without really knowing what they are doing. Human incompetence and mistakes abound in our society, unfortunately.

Personally, I would not risk it. I'd get a grass seed mix that I know is safe. Tyler and Sarah at Tortoisesupply.com sell several excellent mixes, and I know they are safe because I've been feeding it to hundreds of hatchlings every year, as well as their parents. I also use this one and love it: https://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html

Some weeds are toxic. You'll need to identify each and every one before allowing your tortoise access to it.

And welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post. We have an introduction section in the forum and we'd love to know more about you and your tortoises. :)

Beat me to it Tom. That is what you recommend for me a little while back. Great stuff from grow organic [emoji106]

SULCY

NEW YORK
I have used the horse pasture mix from Tractor Supply and what I bought looks like straight grass seed no color on at all.

Kyle Gedrose

Nevada
Lowe’s sells some cat grass seeds in the little packages that don’t have any weird coating on them. Just normal seeds. I planted it in my tortoises tank and it grew like crazy. She didn’t really eat much but she was did eat a little and she seems fine. IMG_1531986864.883532.jpg