Grass to use in an outside RF's enclosure

marine778

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida
When the weather warms up in March or April down here in Florida i'm thinking about moving my ~7 month Cherryhead outside. I currently have St. Augustine grass and was wondering if that's good for them, and if it's edible? I'm going to deck the area out with bushes and plenty of other plants, but I'm unsure about the grass.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Yes that grass is fine. I doubt your guy will munch on it in any case. Redfoots are more browsers (weeds) than grazers (grass). But, yeah, that grass is non-toxic.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
You will notice all kinds of new behaviors and activity from your redfoot once you move it outside, natural sunlight is really good for them. I have seen mine eat St. Augustine grass before, but it doesn't just sit there and eat it for hours like a sulcata. I've also seen my redfoot take a few bites of the thinner softer Orchard hay which I have for other torts. I'd say buy some of the seed mixes made to grow tortoise friendly greens and weeds, toss them in the yard and water. All the mixes I've used grow very quickly! Another thing you can do is plant some hibiscus plants around the yard and take good care of them. The tortoise will learn where they are and visit them each day to pick off low leaves/flowers and any leaves that have fallen during the night.
Here in FL we can grow lots of plants to keep the diets very healthy (and not too much work once you get the plants growing on their own).
Good luck!
-Jeff

onelove

Try seed mixes. Carolinasupply has some I just ordered. I also purchased dandelion seeds. I spent around $22 for a pound of seed mix and dandelion seeds with shipping. Not to shabby

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I also buy a variety of Clover from Americanmeadows.com for my redfoot enclosure. They love it.