Great find!

Romeo Serback

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I'm in South New Jersey and in my travels happen to come across this little Mexican store and I was hoping to find Nopales, Spineless prickly pear cactus, Opiunta, or whatever you call it and what's the first thing i see on the counter? These cacti!!! I'm assuming it's tortoise safe considering they were selling it for consumption. So I bought 5 and was expecting to pay at least a dollar each. Nope! $1.25 for all 5! What a score! My LERATO will be happy!

Attachments

• 20180816_154917.jpg
    20180816_154917.jpg
    935.6 KB · Views: 30

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Good for you! And it's SO good for him! Just don't get the glocchids in your fingers...like getting fiberglass in them [emoji53]
Yeah! I found that out the hard way. Lol i guess i need to singe as well as cut it just to make sure. LERATO seems to love it!

Attachments

• 20180816_163754.jpg
    20180816_163754.jpg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180816_163320.jpg
    20180816_163320.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
that is a great price I got two pounds yesterday and payed $6 but the ones I got were cleaned so no worries about getting stuck.
There were clean ones, but i opted for the uncut ones in hopes of propagating it. Wow! I used a word I'd never thought I'd use in my lifetime. Lol

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
that is a great price I got two pounds yesterday and payed $6 but the ones I got were cleaned so no worries about getting stuck.

$3.00 a pound for prickly pears? Where you buying them at that price? I buy them in bulk at the farmer's market for $1.50, sometimes lower and they cut off the spines for free if you ask them to. I still think the price I pay is expensive.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
$3.00 a pound for prickly pears? Where you buying them at that price? I buy them in bulk at the farmer's market for $1.50, sometimes lower and they cut off the spines for free if you ask them to. I still think the price I pay is expensive.
On the way back to my maintenance yard, I just saw a little Mexican grocery market the size of my son's bedroom and thought, "Hey, why not stop? They might have the cactus." Sure enough. Right on top of the counter, this lady that spoke hardly any English was sitting down and cutting the glocchids off. I was getting two because i only had $2 on my person because I left my wallet in the truck. I was going to head back to get it and casually asked her how much for two. She said fifty cents. Trying to not sound all excited because trust me, I was. I said just give me 5 and make sure 4 are not cut. I gave her the extra 75 cents and went happily on my way. At the streetlights, I looked and examined them over and I got a few in my left hand. I thought they were spineless? Boy was I wrong. Lol. And answering your question about how cheap it was. Remember this. I live in NJ. They don't call it the Garden State for nothing. I just planted the four in hopes of a big return.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I get them at a Mexican market I could get them cheeper at the farmers market as well the store is just easy and I guess I'm paying for that

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's not bad for getting them cleaned for free but it's expensive with the spines still in them. Mine are usually under a dollar a pound. I get a huge crate of them if I place an order for around 20 bucks. I have serversl stores in the area to buy from.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
That's not bad for getting them cleaned for free but it's expensive with the spines still in them. Mine are usually under a dollar a pound. I get a huge crate of them if I place an order for around 20 bucks. I have serversl stores in the area to buy from.
I know. They have a big selection of Hispanic stores all around Chitown. There's a bunch of them on North Avenue alone!