Greek growing much too fast

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
I have 2 greek spur thighs that i bought in sept 2012,They were only a few weeks old one weighed 14 gms and the other 18 grms,the 14 grms 1 now weighs 320 gms but the 18grms 1 weighs 1470 ,only fed on weeds,both are fed the same,i feed them seperately now because i thought he might be eating the other 1's food but in the last 2 months hes put on 260 grms.He looks ok ,doesnt look as if hes had a growth spurt or anything,if he keeps growing at this rate he's going to be huge. Could it be a medical problem

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have not raised greeks from hatchlings, so I can't tell you where in the range of "normal" those weights are, but it is very typical to see this in tortoise that are raised as a pair. This is why we are always telling people not to do it. Tortoises don't want to live together in a pair situation and the chronic stress takes a toll on the one that is mentally "weaker".

If their shells are smooth, they are well hydrated, eating a good diet with plenty of calcium, getting UV and sunshine, then I would not consider this growth too fast. I would consider it a healthy tortoise.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
I have not raised greeks from hatchlings, so I can't tell you where in the range of "normal" those weights are, but it is very typical to see this in tortoise that are raised as a pair. This is why we are always telling people not to do it. Tortoises don't want to live together in a pair situation and the chronic stress takes a toll on the one that is mentally "weaker".

If their shells are smooth, they are well hydrated, eating a good diet with plenty of calcium, getting UV and sunshine, then I would not consider this growth too fast. I would consider it a healthy tortoise.
Thankyou Tom,i've been so worried about him,yes his shell is lovely,and hes the most active tort i have,They are separate now,the tortoise table was getting way to small for him,so he's in the shed and little 1 is in the house

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It will be interesting to see if little 1 starts growing faster now. I'll bet the move will slow down the growth on the bigger one too.