Growing too fast?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
In a totally different thread involving a totally different species I noticed a reference to problems developing if a tortoise grows too fast.

When I got Elsa (my Eastern Hermann's) on Nov 6, 2012, she was 4.5 inches long and weighed 9.45 oz. Now, on Feb 24, 2014 (about 16 months later) she is 6.5 inches long and weighs 34 oz.

Is she growing too fast?
How could I tell if she's growing too fast?
Thanks!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Moozillion said:
In a totally different thread involving a totally different species I noticed a reference to problems developing if a tortoise grows too fast.

When I got Elsa (my Eastern Hermann's) on Nov 6, 2012, she was 4.5 inches long and weighed 9.45 oz. Now, on Feb 24, 2014 (about 16 months later) she is 6.5 inches long and weighs 34 oz.

Is she growing too fast?
Thanks!

I guess that would mainly depend on the manner in which her new growth is coming in. I would imagine that if it's nice smooth growth then there shouldn't be any issues. Some areas where eastern hermanns occur naturally the females can get quite big so she might have some larger than usual hermann genes and is in the middle of her main growth spurt to adulthood.

Any pictures of this lovely lady?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I work out of town during the week, so will try to get some pictures uploaded this weekend.
Thanks!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Moozillion said:

Is she growing too fast?
Thanks!

Excellent rate of growth...this is one way you can know that you're doing right by her! :cool:

Both Jennifer and Ophelia are close to 9.5", and Elsa will quite likely get to that size in good time. Females occasionally get up to about 11".

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Well, I have an integrade box turtle who will be 3 years old this summer. She is already a tad under 6 inches SCL and weighs 560 grams. But the growth is all beautiful and smooth and she's healthy. I think if they are going to be on the larger side for their species they are just going to grow fast!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
lisa127 said:
Well, I have an integrade box turtle who will be 3 years old this summer. She is already a tad under 6 inches SCL and weighs 560 grams. But the growth is all beautiful and smooth and she's healthy. I think if they are going to be on the larger side for their species they are just going to grow fast!

Well cared-for pet tortoises/turtles, because they always have access to good food, grow faster than wild ones do, who have to find their own, and may only eat 3X a week, on average..

And, a hybrid can sometime grow larger than the parent stock. :cool:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks, Terry! :) I will still try to post some pics of her when I get home this weekend- if for no other reason than I think she's beautiful!!!