Greek identification

conservation

10 Year Member!
About one year ago I purchased this tortoise from its owner of 20+years. It was imported in the 70-80's.

He is extremely high domed. He hibernates. He begins hibernating earlier in the year than the Iberian greeks.

The photos.

Does anyone own a similar tortoise? I would love to pair him up. I would also love to properly I'd him. I have done my research and have an idea what he may be. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1384893328955.jpg
    1384893328955.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 1384893374298.jpg
    1384893374298.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 1384893391381.jpg
    1384893391381.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 1384893436034.jpg
    1384893436034.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 1384893537964.jpg
    1384893537964.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 105

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
I think he is an absolutely magnificent beautiful tortoise (score!) because I totally suck in Greek identification I don't know more than that. What an amazing animal!
I do know one thing, I want some of them babies someday! : )

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
He has some similar shell shapes to my Jordanian. There are quite of few subspecies of Greeks.

The kid I got mine from (total neglect situation) thought he was a Golden. He is definitely not.
He could also be a mix of ssp, so may not be anything specific. I like the flare to his caudal scutes. Makes me think of a marginated tortoise. He's beautiful.

conservation

10 Year Member!
He completely has the ww2 helmet look. I firmly believe he is wild caught based on his shell growth and information received at the time of purchase. So if he is wild caught, he is most likely not a cross.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
It's killing me. Can you PM or email egyptiandan? or GBTortoises? They seem to be so expert about testudo. Dying to know what this beautiful tortoise is. I wish there was a log, there must be since imports are so limited, of what came in from where over the years. Then we could look at the 70's and/or 80's. For as picky as the government is about these animals you would think there would be an import reference available. That would make sense and government peeps never have that kind of sensibility. Sure do love your tortoise. Again, score! : )

redbeef

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
[...] I wish there was a log, there must be since imports are so limited, of what came in from where over the years. Then we could look at the 70's and/or 80's. For as picky as the government is about these animals you would think there would be an import reference available. That would make sense and government peeps never have that kind of sensibility. [...]

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the problem is that the records kept on the US side of the trade probably list the origin site as the shipper in country X...if that shipper received animals from multiple sources and shipped them as a batch, it can get pretty muddy...

aside from an expert on here being able to ID the tortoise from his appearance, it may also help if they've got a long history in tortoise rearing and can actually remember (and maybe actually still have some of) the animals imported 40-30 years ago.

anyways, here's another bump for this thread and he is definitely a nice looking guy! :cool:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
redbeef said:
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the problem is that the records kept on the US side of the trade probably list the origin site as the shipper in country X...if that shipper received animals from multiple sources and shipped them as a batch, it can get pretty muddy...

I think you are so right. When I was researching my PetSmart Greeks from 2012, it look like they went from various places, including Jordan, to Egypt to a broker there whose family has done this, exported animals, for decades.

One would think that our accepting government agency would be a bit more conscientious and ask for more specifics. For the benefit of the care of the animal, at the very least. Sigh.

I hope this baby gets ID'd. Wish there was a way to DNA every's Greeks so we all know for sure what we may have. : )

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Don't hold me to this but I'm gonna say Testudo (ibera) anamurensis. The dome, shape, flaring and size all indicate this as a real possibility. Not many of those around and as far as taxonomy goes, they throw the classification and level of this subspecies around here and there with varying degrees of acceptance. Keep in mind though that just like in many other tortoises, variation in appearance is huge, especially in European species, so this may very well be an ibera. It's certainly wild caught originally and not captive bred so that does lessen the chance of it being an impure animal. However, it does not rule that out completely because in Europe, the mixing of released specimens with wild ones is a very real problem in all areas at this point. Of course it's a slim chance, but it can and does occur in the wild.

Variation is something I discuss in detail on my latest video, as I know you already saw Stephen, and thank you for the kind words on it.

Hope this helps.