Greek 'pft, pft" noise when breathing

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
My Iberian Greek Tortoise, Leonidas has been acting strangely since being introduced to new habitat. I listened to his breathing when doing a routine health scan and heard this loud "pft, pft" noise every time he breathed, accompanied by a small head and leg bob. Additionally, he has been just sitting beneath his heat lamp and getting really hot. He has had three cases of respiratory infection in his one year life (told by vet and backed by latest issue of Reptiles Magazine that it is a chronic infection regardless of treatment). I know it flares up in times of stress (makes sense because of new enclosure), but I really cant afford to keep taking him to the vet. Has anyone else experienced this, especially as an early sign of RI? I feel like I have the worst luck with these health problems and am so tired of all these scares. I don't know what I would do if I lost him.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
What you're describing is probably R.N.S. (runny nose syndrome). It is very common in certain species, notably Leopard and Marginated tortoises. I've never experienced or heard of much of a problem with it in Ibera Greeks.
It can occur as a result of environmental conditions such as dry and dusty or too damp and cold. It can also occur due to a lack of vitamin A or a poor diet in general. Generally (but not always), it will often clear up with the right environmental conditions and diet without any anti-biotics or other treatment. Some people are good with trying that, others are not and would rather seek medical attention right away. That all depends upon your comfort level of trying to take care of the problem.
In tortoises that I have had that have R.N.S. it seems to re-occur periodically despite changes and adjustments to their environment and diet. I have also heard the same from people who have taken their tortoise to a vet for anti-botics each time it has flared up. I know that's not very reassuring information!