Greek Tort Lovers!

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We recently adopted an approximately 10 year old Greek tortoise named Frank. He has a wonderful temperament, greets me in the morning asking to have his neck rubbed, loves to cuddle in a warm blanket with me and enjoys lots of natural sunlight when the weather is appropriate. We are totally in love!

For those who may have concerns:
*I soak Franklin in a shallow bowl one-three times a week depending on the temperature outside. He loves to be rinsed off in warm water after coming in from the yard. I dry him thoroughly and place him under his heat right away.
*My dog absolutely loves Frank. I taught her to keep eyes on him for me when he is exploring. She’s extremely gentle and would never harm him. He is very relaxed around her.
*The plate of leaves represents a wide variety of types of leaves. I grow his food and have been trying to find his favorites such that he gets a balanced diet.

99DF6AE7-4EC0-4FF6-A72E-F81F65ED3EA6.jpegADCACF07-7D3A-4B39-86DC-CA331CD572BA.jpegF73BB4F8-9D41-4E12-A573-790A4DDB615F.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I cant be certain here as growth varies a lot, but doesnt look 10 to me, small if so, do you have paperwork or a birthdate or something. Also doesnt really look like a boy, but admittedly very little to go on there from the pics. I have an 8 year old Greek male. If you are interested at all, post a picture of the plastron, as well as a picture of the "tail" scute.

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I cant be certain here as growth varies a lot, but doesnt look 10 to me, small if so, do you have paperwork or a birthdate or something. Also doesnt really look like a boy, but admittedly very little to go on there from the pics. I have an 8 year old Greek male. If you are interested at all, post a picture of the plastron, as well as a picture of the "tail" scute.

So sorry for the delay in responding! I would love your input!! He’s definitely small for his age. I rescued him from an unfortunate situation where he was sick and quite underweight. Ive gotten his weight up to a good level, put him on a much better diet, cleared up his respiratory infection and improved his shell condition. Reptile vet said he may not catch up in size. So sad, but we love him just the same. Here are a bunch of pictures. I can’t figure out what subspecies he is. His thigh spurs are hard to photograph, but he definitely has one on each leg.

F0CD065B-52AA-4ED3-B34A-954650681168.jpeg30904750-9881-4030-8827-98532CE0A6E7.jpegC8C59BF7-B84F-48EF-998B-3DBC0CCE9416.jpeg13577F44-EC53-414C-9FC9-CF9EC8DB71AD.jpegB4E12B8D-50F1-46CE-A90B-CD0BEBA8138E.jpegA7AE5A1C-45CA-4991-9021-D0F4D276927D.jpegECB1F595-9A43-4C3B-94BC-CE30E9FE80AE.jpeg21A56077-C2C7-424D-8C81-256F1105FD74.jpeg044DB229-BFE7-41C8-B1DF-7DE2E77F273D.jpeg858470BA-17D8-4738-94C9-31DC5D332E2D.jpeg

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
Frank is adorable! I think he is a male. I don't have any experience with greeks but as far as I know all tortoises are amazing. My dog also is very nice towards my baby sulcata and I plan to train her to find Kiwi (my sulcata) when Kiwi lives outside. (Lets just say my family hasn't had the best experience with keeping tortoises contained). Best wishes to you and Frank and keep us posted! Btw, your profile picture is so cute. Whenever Kiwi looks at me that way it just makes me laugh because it looks like she is judging me!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Male T. graeca terrestris and depending on geographical origin, he’s either nearly fully grown or has a little ways to go.

Hannah Riley

Liverpool
Hello there! I’m new to this forum but managed to navigate to the Greek Tortoise section! I have a one year old spur thighed, female tortoise called Mary. I’ve never had a tortoise before - as such, I desperately welcome any tips/tricks with regards to how I can ensure Mary lives a long, happy/healthy life!

I also have a few queries which I would really appreciate some guidance on!

1) I travel a lot with work, and I worry about how to manage Marys UV and Heat Lamps when I am not in my flat to switch them on and off. I also worry about potential fire risks if I leave the lamps on for too long, whilst I am away with work.

Can you advise on what the best course of action is when you go on holiday / or are away with work and you have your tortoises UV and heat lamps to manage? Do you typically ask a neighbour to check the lamps are on at the right times or do you just leave both the UV and heat lamps on for the duration of time you are away - accepting that leaving the lamps on could be a fire hazard?

2) In the winter months, my bedroom (where Mary’s cage is) gets rather cold and I would like to cover the cage with a fire resistant blanket for additional insulation. Can you recommend any fire resistant blankets for tortoise cages?

3) I’m worried that Mary may be lonely. I realise tortoises are solitary creatures but I don’t spend as much time with Mary as I would like to (for work reasons). So I’m concerned she may be bored of walking around her cage repeatedly. Can you recommend any toys / items that provide your tortoises enjoyment or would you recommend getting another female tortoise for company?

4) I typically feed Mary, Kale, broccoli, parsley and strawberries. Are there any other food items that make your tortoise happy? I’ve noticed Mary barely drinks water at all, is this something I should be concerned about? I bath her every other day, so I’m hoping this is enough opportunity for her to hydrate?

5) I decided not to hibernate Mary this year, as she is only one years of age and is still very small. However, what advice can you give for hibernating her next winter? Do you recommend fridge hibernation? Did you have to encourage your tortoise to hibernate or do they do this naturally? How do you know when to check on your tortoise during fridge hibernation? I have so many questions and very anxious about the whole hibernation process!

SoCalGreek

Southern California
Hi Han
Hello there! I’m new to this forum but managed to navigate to the Greek Tortoise section! I have a one year old spur thighed, female tortoise called Mary. I’ve never had a tortoise before - as such, I desperately welcome any tips/tricks with regards to how I can ensure Mary lives a long, happy/healthy life!

1) I travel a lot with work, and I worry about how to manage Marys UV and Heat Lamps when I am not in my flat to switch them on and off. I also worry about potential fire risks if I leave the lamps on for too long, whilst I am away with work.

Can you advise on what the best course of action is when you go on holiday / or are away with work and you have your tortoises UV and heat lamps to manage? Do you typically ask a neighbour to check the lamps are on at the right times or do you just leave both the UV and heat lamps on for the duration of time you are away - accepting that leaving the lamps on could be a fire hazard?

2) In the winter months, my bedroom (where Mary’s cage is) gets rather cold and I would like to cover the cage with a fire resistant blanket for additional insulation. Can you recommend any fire resistant blankets for tortoise cages?

3) I’m worried that Mary may be lonely. I realise tortoises are solitary creatures but I don’t spend as much time with Mary as I would like to (for work reasons). So I’m concerned she may be bored of walking around her cage repeatedly. Can you recommend any toys / items that provide your tortoises enjoyment or would you recommend getting another female tortoise for company?

4) I typically feed Mary, Kale, broccoli, parsley and strawberries. Are there any other food items that make your tortoise happy? I’ve noticed Mary barely drinks water at all, is this something I should be concerned about? I bath her every other day, so I’m hoping this is enough opportunity for her to hydrate?

5) I decided not to hibernate Mary this year, as she is only one years of age and is still very small. However, what advice can you give for hibernating her next winter? Do you recommend fridge hibernation? Did you have to encourage your tortoise to hibernate or do they do this naturally? How do you know when to check on your tortoise during fridge hibernation? I have so many questions and very anxious about the whole hibernation process!
Hi Hannah ?

Hi There-
1 and 2. Set up a timer to turn the lights and heat on and off when you typically would. I wouldn’t cover the tank with any type of blanket. That seems like too many potential problems could occur (overheating, fire,...). Add a second heat source if needed to maintain temperatures. There are lots of great care guides on this forum that would be helpful for you.
3. Definitely don’t get a second tort. She’s not lonely, but she might be bored. Greeks are pretty active and need A LOT of space to walk around and explore. My 4ft x4ft enclosure is too small if that gives you a sense of size. Again, check the care guidelines on here. I have a couple different places for mine to hide and little logs to walk under. I used the coco coir substrate to create some elevation changes also. I put some live plants in his tank so that he can wander around and on top of those too. Just be sure that anything you put in there is safe for them to eat. Check the tortoise table website for lots of great info on safe plants.
4. She shouldn’t be getting strawberries, broccoli or parsley. Check the card guide and https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/fruit-vegetables/#.X_iW-yU74WM
Mine eats a wide variety of things. ZellaandJake is a good site for seeds to grow for him. You don’t want anything that comes from the store or garden center as they have typically been sprayed with pesticides. You can certainly wash things, but everything I’ve seen says not to. I bathe mine twice a week and he usually drinks at that time. They don’t drink like other animals since they absorb water during the soaks. Just be sure the humidity is correct in his enclosure.
5. You don’t have to hibernate them and I definitely don’t know enough yet to give advice. They have to be a safe weight and age to do so. I’ve only had mine for a few months and he was pretty sick and underweight. He wasn’t healthy enough to not eat for months. Be super careful on that one. There are lots of experts on this site who have spent decades raising and researching torts. Perhaps, you could start a new thread and ask for advice on that.
*Sorry that I don’t have more answers, but I’m learning too. Good luck to you!!

SoCalGreek

Southern California
Hi Han

Hi Hannah ?

Hi There-
1 and 2. Set up a timer to turn the lights and heat on and off when you typically would. I wouldn’t cover the tank with any type of blanket. That seems like too many potential problems could occur (overheating, fire,...). Add a second heat source if needed to maintain temperatures. There are lots of great care guides on this forum that would be helpful for you.
3. Definitely don’t get a second tort. She’s not lonely, but she might be bored. Greeks are pretty active and need A LOT of space to walk around and explore. My 4ft x4ft enclosure is too small if that gives you a sense of size. Again, check the care guidelines on here. I have a couple different places for mine to hide and little logs to walk under. I used the coco coir substrate to create some elevation changes also. I put some live plants in his tank so that he can wander around and on top of those too. Just be sure that anything you put in there is safe for them to eat. Check the tortoise table website for lots of great info on safe plants.
4. She shouldn’t be getting strawberries, broccoli or parsley. Check the card guide and https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/fruit-vegetables/#.X_iW-yU74WM
Mine eats a wide variety of things. ZellaandJake is a good site for seeds to grow for him. You don’t want anything that comes from the store or garden center as they have typically been sprayed with pesticides. You can certainly wash things, but everything I’ve seen says not to. I bathe mine twice a week and he usually drinks at that time. They don’t drink like other animals since they absorb water during the soaks. Just be sure the humidity is correct in his enclosure.
5. You don’t have to hibernate them and I definitely don’t know enough yet to give advice. They have to be a safe weight and age to do so. I’ve only had mine for a few months and he was pretty sick and underweight. He wasn’t healthy enough to not eat for months. Be super careful on that one. There are lots of experts on this site who have spent decades raising and researching torts. Perhaps, you could start a new thread and ask for advice on that.
*Sorry that I don’t have more answers, but I’m learning too. Good luck to you!!
By the way, it’s a good bit easier to navigate this site on an actual computer not a phone.