Greek Tortoise habitat

Joe Stevens

Location (City and/or State)
Neptune
I have a Greek tortoise that I got about a year ago and when we got him we got a home, but now he's starting to outgrow his home. He's about 4.5-5 inches along his plastron I don't have much room in my house, but I would have enough room outside. Right now I have heat lamps and stuff for him, he's pretty spoiled and only really goes outside when it's sunny. I really don't want anything to happen to him, could i leave him outside, and if so would he need all his heat lamps?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Before we can give you outside advice, Joe, we'll need to know where you are and what your weather is like.

Welcome to the Forum!

Joe Stevens

Neptune
Before we can give you outside advice, Joe, we'll need to know where you are and what your weather is like.

Welcome to the Forum!
ok I live in California it's pretty hot most of the time, but there's some rainy and cold days, I have another Sulcata tortoise named Spike he lives outside and is pretty fine and tends to come inside on chillier days

Joe Stevens

Neptune
Im also trying to have him out as much as possible do he doesn't get annoyed by being in a small space

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Do you have enough space for him outside in a separate enclosure from your Sully?
How big is your enclosure indoors?

Joe Stevens

Neptune
Well spike my sulcata usually has free roam of the garden and then sleeps and rests in a dog house type thing. He's only met my Greek a few times and it didn't go very well, for some reason he's always running after him I try to slow him down so he doesn't crush my Greek but that just makes him go faster. So yes there would be room but it might agitate Spike, do you think he'd learn that he is a friend not food? Spikes 15 and Sheldons only 3 in case you needed to know that, thanks for all the help

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well spike my sulcata usually has free roam of the garden and then sleeps and rests in a dog house type thing. He's only met my Greek a few times and it didn't go very well, for some reason he's always running after him I try to slow him down so he doesn't crush my Greek but that just makes him go faster. So yes there would be room but it might agitate Spike, do you think he'd learn that he is a friend not food? Spikes 15 and Sheldons only 3 in case you needed to know that, thanks for all the help
I doubt your Sullie will ever see another tort as a friend. Sulcatas just don't. Tortoises are loners and Spike will just want Sheldon off his property NOW!

Given the size difference will always be huge, you must keep them completely separately otherwise it is likely to result in the death of Sheldon very quickly.

Joe Stevens

Neptune
My enclosure indoors is about.2.5 thousand square inches, I know its too small and I'm really worried because it really should be twice its size , because of school and such I can't really make sure he's out all the time, but in my free time I'm always playing with him so he can stretch his legs.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My enclosure indoors is about.2.5 thousand square inches, I know its too small and I'm really worried because it really should be twice its size , because of school and such I can't really make sure he's out all the time, but in my free time I'm always playing with him so he can stretch his legs.
2500 square inches is 17 square feet - we suggest 4'x2' as a minimum = 8 square feet.

Either your tort has loads of space or you math is wrong.

Joe Stevens

Neptune
The home has mesh on the top and wood on all the other sides if I put a lot of things for Sheldon to hide under do you think spike wont notice him?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The home has mesh on the top and wood on all the other sides if I put a lot of things for Sheldon to hide under do you think spike wont notice him?
NSpike will smell him. No it won't work. Sheldon's enclosure must be completely secure so that Spike cannot get into it.

Joe Stevens

Neptune
The formula I'm using is 1000 square inches for every inch of the plasteon I got it of the internet do you think that the formula's wrong? He's about 5 inches across his plastron I thought he'd need at least 5,000 square inches

Joe Stevens

Neptune
How long/heavy is Spike? Sullies grow pretty rapidly into 100lb monsters that can flatten anything.
I haven't checked ill be able to check around 1 I'm guessing he's about 2 feet considering Sheldons length but i don't really know for sure

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I haven't checked ill be able to check around 1 I'm guessing he's about 2 feet considering Sheldons length but i don't really know for sure
I'm guessing you're not completely used to working in feet and inches and square inches/ square feet.

There are 12 inches in 1 foot. If Spike is that size then you have an aldabra not a sulcata :D

Measure accurately in the unit you find easiest - metres, centimetres, inches. We can do conversions using Google :D

We need to know the straight line length of the shell of the tort (not measured up round the dome) - this is called the SCL (Straight Carapace Length)
This links shows how you measure http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

Also, the length of the enclosure and the width of the enclosure. We can do the rest of the math ourselves :)