Sleepy Greek?

Rory

Hi guys! I'm a very new tortoise-mommy to an ibera greek hatchling named Rory, and I've got a question about his behavior that I was hoping someone here could answer and maybe calm my nerves a bit. When we first moved him into my house (about 3 weeks ago), he was fairly active, and he would spend all day running around his box, exploring, and even trying to climb things. Now he sleeps pretty much all day, only really waking up for his daily bathtime, and I've found that he's even falling asleep during that. I guess I wouldn't be that worried, except for the fact that he sleeps in his food dish. His box has a nice little dark room that's easily accessible, and I've been told that torts like that, but he just falls right asleep in his food and stays there. Is this something I should worry about? I'm trying to let him out and about to explore more often, in hopes of rekindling his curious nature, but it's really cold right now, so my options are limited on where to do that.
(In case environmental factors might be important: he's in a wooden habitat with a heat and uv lamp, with about 13 hours of light per 24 hour period. Temperature is about 80f, humidity is about 30%. He has 24 hour access to water and food - dehydrated grass/flower mix, and a crushed food pellet, with calcium supplement every other day. He gets one bath every day, usually around the same time, where he's usually pretty good about "doing his business.")
Sorry if this is a lot of information all at once, but if anyone knows if there's something I'm doing wrong or whether this is just a part of normal greek growth, I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!
DSCN0931.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It might be just a little too warm for your baby. Can you put the light/heat at one end so that its warm on that end, but a little cooler on the other end? Not cold, just a little cooler - a bit of a gradient so he can regulate if he wants to.

Rory

Yvonne G said:
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It might be just a little too warm for your baby. Can you put the light/heat at one end so that its warm on that end, but a little cooler on the other end? Not cold, just a little cooler - a bit of a gradient so he can regulate if he wants to.

Yeah, I'll try moving the heat lamp up and over a bit. Thanks!

Rory

tumblr_mzk8jyij7U1rkbqfuo1_500.jpg

Okay, so should this create a decent gradient (the black thing to the right is the light/heat source, and he has a little dark/cool room behind the wall on the left) There's at least a visible difference from the light before, when everything was uniformly lit, and now there's like one brighter spot and it's kind of darker towards the edges.
Also, does it make a difference where I put food/water/"toys" ? Obviously if I leave the water dish there it'll evaporate sooner, but otherwise, will it affect how/when he eats, etc.?
(Sorry for all the questions! I just feel like it would be very much like me to do something completely stupid that might be intuitive to other people. Again, thanks for the help.)

MzNENA

Colorado
Just want to let you know I have this exact issue with my little greek hatchling.
Although he was never extremely active when I got him.
Sleeps about 80% of his day away now although it was longer before.

Raised his basking temperatures, changed all of his light bulbs, added a CHE, made additions to his enclosure, raised his humidity, gave him time to adjust to his new home, everything I was suggested to help him, but he still sleeps his whole day away. He eats perfectly normal & everything so not too concerned.

At this point I think this is just normal.
I've heard mentioned that a hatchling's instinct is to hide from larger predators when they are young & sleep the day away as a human child would at such a young age. Hoping that may be what it is. But hoping both of our tortoise's become more active.
Just know you are definitely not alone.

Rory

Glad to hear it isn't just me! I do hope it's only a phase. I just don't want him to be bored or unhappy here.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Sleepy Greek?

Rory said:
Glad to hear it isn't just me! I do hope it's only a phase. I just don't want him to be bored or unhappy here.

Same thing happened to me.. my Greek slept quite a bit when I first got him, then was moderately active for about a month then was extremely active for another month and then this week he is sleeping almost all the time again. Pretty sure it's just a baby thing. :)

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Me three. These crazy babies, sending us out of our minds with worry :). I had the exact same problem. He stills sleeps about from 10 o'clock a.m. to 3:30 p.m. then I wake him up for a soak and a snack. Then he goes back to sleep. Ditto, its a baby thing. It's so funny, today he fell asleep with his face in the dirt :D. Slick.

Vitality

5 Year Member
I would suggest losing the dehydrated food and pellets. its like the human version of eating mcdonalds. its just better to eat the real stuff. get leafy greens and grasses from a grocery store. A daily bath is not that really necessary either. my :tort: buddy takes a shower and cleaning once a week. The last thing I would suggest it getting a better substrate to dig. something like eco earth's coconut fiber substrate. it makes it easier to clean up dodo and for your :tort: to dig. greeks love digging!

Rory

Yeah, I thought the food might not be the best either, so I picked up a spring mix at the store today and I've started mixing it in. He seemed really fond of the green tango, at least.

MzNENA

Colorado
Phew. Safe to hear that it happens to all of us baby greek owners.
Aww these little lazy hatchlings. Maybe they'll pull it together a little more, once it starts to get a bit warmer.
I know exactly what you mean about them burying their faces in the ground lol
Found Squirtle doing the same just a few days ago.

Attachments

• 1390083619154.jpg
    1390083619154.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 61

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Hahahahahhaah!! Here is a pic of apollo:

Sleepy little baby:

Last one is him when he fell asleep during breakfast!

Attachments

• 1390091028122.jpg
    1390091028122.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 56
  • 1390091073112.jpg
    1390091073112.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1390091114604.jpg
    1390091114604.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 56

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Thor does this all the time!! Like.. I just can't be bothered to walk away from my food.. just so tired! :p

HerbsParents

Same!! Even over here in the United Kingdom my 23 month old Ibera started off very active, then he became very sleepy almost constantly only waking to eat, he had a bath every other day and poop and pee'd on the regular.

About a week ago though Herbert took the Hugest poo! bigger than his head. And everything has now changed, He is up now in morning and the hunt begins for the food for the day, he is back to his old self if not a little greedier (has got in the happen of trying to eat me at the moment, So cute!)

I could be wrong (and probably am) but had thought he may be brumating/trying to hibernate due to a change in air pressure or weather or however these little guys work it out.

So glad to hear this is a common occurance

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would also suggest that you remove those little black pebbles in the corner...they can easily be ingested yet a couple in can block the exit...an impacted tort is a terrible thing for the tort....