Tortoise Has Been Very Inactive - Please Help!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi. I need help: my Greek tortoise has been extremely inactive lately. He sleeps night and day long, till I wake him up so as to give him a soak and some food. I am worried and surprised at this behaviour as: the weather is hot here. Temperature is about 30 degrees C (86 F) in Amman. Moreover, his enclosure is the same, my flat is the same and nothing has changed. ( We know that torts do not like change and take time to adapt). Oli has been here for almost ten years - a decade. Therefore it is not a matter of change, obviously. The weather? I personally doubt it, as he has not been so inactive even during snow!

I have to wake him up each and every day so as to soak him. He poops but has constipation, although his food is the same. I am then obliged to hand feed him as he won't eat alone. Once he eats, he crawls to his favourite corner and falls asleep immediately.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You know the drill, but I'm going to ask seeing you forgot to post them.
The enclosure temps? Basking? Over all? Night?
Humidity?
Diet?
How old is the uvb bulb?(this is new to the drill)
An fyi, I have noticed a few other threads with the same problem but with Russians. All newbies so their situation may be a lot different then yours, as they likely are giving poorer care and space.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You know the drill, but I'm going to ask seeing you forgot to post them.
The enclosure temps? Basking? Over all? Night?
Humidity?
Diet?
How old is the uvb bulb?(this is new to the drill)
An fyi, I have noticed a few other threads with the same problem but with Russians. All newbies so their situation may be a lot different then yours, as they likely are giving poorer care and space.
Thanks so much your reply.

1) Honestly speaking I don't know temp of the enclosure. But room temp is 28 degrees C (82.4 degrees F)

2) Humidity is about 40% here, today

3) Sleeping night and day long, which is worrying me

4) His usual diet is mazuri and some lettuce. The latter he loves so I tend to offer him some. As a matter of fact, I offered him some lettuce today but he refused to eat. This confirms that something is wrong.

5) As for the uvb light, well it's about four years old, or so.

Once again, thanks a lot your answer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First thing you need to do is get a thermometer so you know the exact temps in the enclosure. That is very important for their health. 82 outside, doesn't mean its 82 inside his enclosure, unless he lives outside.
82 in your house doesn't mean its 82 in the enclosure.
You need to know exact basking, all over and night temps.
Tortoises do everything slow, including getting sick from long time improper care. Even though he seemed fine for 10 years, it all could be catching up if temps have not been correct consistently. Not saying this is what's wrong, but as an example. Basking every day under correct temps they can digest their food properly every day. Basking under temps that is only correct a couple times a week, well, the rest of the week he cant digest his food properly.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
First thing you need to do is get a thermometer so you know the exact temps in the enclosure. That is very important for their health. 82 outside, doesn't mean its 82 inside his enclosure, unless he lives outside.
82 in your house doesn't mean its 82 in the enclosure.
You need to know exact basking, all over and night temps.
Tortoises do everything slow, including getting sick from long time improper care. Even though he seemed fine for 10 years, it all could be catching up if temps have not been correct consistently. Not saying this is what's wrong, but as an example. Basking every day under correct temps they can digest their food properly every day. Basking under temps that is only correct a couple times a week, well, the rest of the week he cant digest his food properly.
Alright. In that case, the first thing I have to do is get a thermometer.

You're right: for the past ten years he seemed healthy. He ate well and he was very active. I do not know what has happened suddenly.

Many thanks your help, which I really do appreciate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get the digital and try find one that will read humidity too.
Then be sure all temps are correct. Basking 95-100F
Over All temp should range 75-80F
Night temps can be down to 60F
Humidity try to do 30-50%

MaNaAk

Southend
Alright. In that case, the first thing I have to do is get a thermometer.

You're right: for the past ten years he seemed healthy. He ate well and he was very active. I do not know what has happened suddenly.

Many thanks your help, which I really do appreciate.
Can put him outside at all?

MaNaAk

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Can put him outside at all?

MaNaAk
No, I'm afraid not. I live in a flat, which I know is not the right place for pets in general.

When the weather permits, I take him out for a "walk' in the sun. I'm doing all I can.

MaNaAk

Southend
No, I'm afraid not. I live in a flat, which I know is not the right place for pets in general.

When the weather permits, I take him out for a "walk' in the sun. I'm doing all I can.
Just like me with Jacky and Daisy except that I can put them in the front courtyard. You need to follow the advice that you've been given so far. I couldn't hibernate Daisy last winter so I did the best I could with an enclosure that I now was too small but you need a hot end and a cool end and you food in both ends you need fresh water daily. Make sure that you soak your tortoise and weigh her. Those light can make her dehydrated she will be lethargic and have flaky skin if this is happening in which case you will need to soak her up to forty minutes. Another symptom of dehydration is sudden loss of weight according to what I read but this never happened with Daisy. You could try this and see how your tortoise reacts but make sure they are supervised.

MaNaAk

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Just like me with Jacky and Daisy except that I can put them in the front courtyard. You need to follow the advice that you've been given so far. I couldn't hibernate Daisy last winter so I did the best I could with an enclosure that I now was too small but you need a hot end and a cool end and you food in both ends you need fresh water daily. Make sure that you soak your tortoise and weigh her. Those light can make her dehydrated she will be lethargic and have flaky skin if this is happening in which case you will need to soak her up to forty minutes. Another symptom of dehydration is sudden loss of weight according to what I read but this never happened with Daisy. You could try this and see how your tortoise reacts but make sure they are supervised.

MaNaAk
Many thanks your help.
Appreciate it.

MaNaAk

Southend
I'm afraid he's still the same. He really is worrying me.

Many thanks your concern.
Is there a good vet nearby that you can take him to? I took Daisy to the vet's on Thursday and whilst a little anxious about some blood tests results I'm glad I took her.

MaNaAk