Tortoise Very Inactive-Please Help.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi all. My beloved tort (Oli) has been extremely inactive recently. He is eating well, but that's about all. He either sits in his 'favourite corner' of the flat, as if hiding, or moves towards the balcony, stretches his hind legs and just remains there hours on end. He's been there for the past THREE HOURS or so.

I do know that when a tort streches it hind legs it is relaxed, but isn't Oli over-doing it somehow? He usually roams around the place happily, once he's out of his enclosure. I even took him out for a 'walk' a couple of days ago. I thought he'e enjoy it, as he usually does. However, he would not move a mm. I gave him time and a lot of time, thinking: 'He might change his mind', but NO WAY would he move! So I picked him up and returned home after one whole hour. Wow....patience, patence, patience!

Any advice and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
More info needed give us a run down of everything, diet, lighting, type of lighting, temps, etc.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Stretching the legs usually is a sign of the tortoise warming himself up. However, I know that your apartment is quite warm.
He's been doing well lately, right? So just let him act weird for a little while and don't worry too much right now.
Didn't you recently go for a walk? You and Oli?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
More info needed give us a run down of everything, diet, lighting, type of lighting, temps, etc.
It's rather hot here: temperture reached a maximum of 33 degrees Celcius in Amman today. Room temperature is a little less than that; about 28 degrees C. But I for one don't think it's the weather. Oli's diet has not changed. He eats Roman lettuce, tomatoes for a treat-which he loves, although I was once adviced not to feed him that, and boiled carrots. That he likes too. Unfortunately, I have not found 'special food' for torts at malls/supermakets here. Food for cats, dogs, fish and birds are the only ones available. Calcium powder is NOT available either. So please understand me here.

I've tried feeding him parsley long ago, but he just would not eat. I cannot wait till he is dead hungry and then expect him to eat anything, as someone at the forum once suggested. And I cannot force him to eat something, can I?

I give Oli a soak in warm water at least once daily when it's hot. He seems to enjoy it: he falls asleep in his bowl and when he wakes up, he sits there with his legs stretched.

As for the light it's a UVB one, NOT a coil bulb. However, I don't use it these days.

I have noticed that Oli does get into these 'funny/strange' moods every now and again, don't know why.

Your help would be highly appreciated, thank you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Stretching the legs usually is a sign of the tortoise warming himself up. However, I know that your apartment is quite warm.
He's been doing well lately, right? So just let him act weird for a little while and don't worry too much right now.
Didn't you recently go for a walk? You and Oli?
Hi Ed. Thanks your help.

I took Oli out for the usual walk a few days ago, but he did not move one mm!! I was extremely patient and stayed outside with him one whole hour but NO WAY would he move. So I picked him up and returned home.

Yes my flat is warm, a bit hot I could say. I have been ignoring Oli but deep inside I am extremely worried. As I said, he gets into these strange moods every now and then, don't know why. He's now sticking to the balcony by the window in the HOT sun.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What kind of substrate does he have that holds moisture and even allows him to burrow?

Why boil carrots? Feed them raw, but not often. Are there really no other greens available? Endive, escarole, red leaf lettuce? Anything but iceberg lettuce.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
For calcium try buying a couple of cuttle bones at your pet store and spred them across the enclosure (they are in the bird section) as calcium is vital to the diet and without it your tort will die earlier than it should. Also, if you can't get any weeds to feed your tort maybe try buying spring mix at the grocery store? It has an assortment of greens and vegetables and would be healthier than just romaine. Also, maybe your flat is too warm. I do not know what species you have, but most tortoises need an area that is cool where they can go to thermoregulate.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
What kind of substrate does he have that holds moisture and even allows him to burrow?

Why boil carrots? Feed them raw, but not often. Are there really no other greens available? Endive, escarole, red leaf lettuce? Anything but iceberg lettuce.

I boil carrots because Oli would not eat them raw. He seems to be very picky on food, believe me. It's Roman lettuce he eats NOT Iceberg. Tried green vegetables of different types, but he would NOT eat! I know this may sound incredible. Any advice?

It's soil in his enclosure, which I spray with water every now and then, due to the fact that the climate is VERY DRY here. After all it's 'desert climate.' Again, I have had NO OTHER CHOICE here. Would like to point out that here is little if not NO care/interest for animals/pets. This makes things very tough for its owner as well as the poor pet.

At the moment Oli is by the balcony in the HOT SUN, with all his four legs stretched out.

Thanks a lot your help as well as advice, both of which I very much appreciate.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
For calcium try buying a couple of cuttle bones at your pet store and spred them across the enclosure (they are in the bird section) as calcium is vital to the diet and without it your tort will die earlier than it should. Also, if you can't get any weeds to feed your tort maybe try buying spring mix at the grocery store? It has an assortment of greens and vegetables and would be healthier than just romaine. Also, maybe your flat is too warm. I do not know what species you have, but most tortoises need an area that is cool where they can go to thermoregulate.
Believe it or not: cuttle bones, calcium and the rest are NOT available in Jordan. This is part of the'Third World' ok? There is little or NO care for animals/pets.

As for room temperature, well I don't think it's the issue: Oli has been in the hot sun for hours, alone. In other words, I did not place him there.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I believe my tortoises go through moods or phases. As long as he is eating, I suggest letting him be. Seasons and temperature seems to trigger different behavior.

JacquieS

Can you not get stuff delivered on ebay? I'm not being judgemental. I feed my Hermans a mix of endive, lambs lettuce and radicchio (his fave) which is basically just bagged salad for humans. He gets the odd strawberry as a treat and he loves grapes. I was actually told that cooked carrots are poisonous. I appreciate it's difficult there for pet owners

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just as a friend and outside observer, I'd say that Oli goes through these cycles. He has done this before and each time he ends up just fine.
There is really no typical behavior for all tortoises and it sounds like Oli is being himself.
Can you not get stuff delivered on ebay? I'm not being judgemental. I feed my Hermans a mix of endive, lambs lettuce and radicchio (his fave) which is basically just bagged salad for humans. He gets the odd strawberry as a treat and he loves grapes. I was actually told that cooked carrots are poisonous. I appreciate it's difficult there for pet owners
Avoid grapes.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't let him sit in the sun for too long, Gillian, he may overheat.
Make sure he has lots of soaks in your hot dry climate, I have to do the same.

JacquieS

Yeah I've been told that too. So we've not been giving him those. We live in Scotland so he gets dandelions from the garden on occasion.

Tortoises are funny creatures with personalities all of their own

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I believe my tortoises go through moods or phases. As long as he is eating, I suggest letting him be. Seasons and temperature seems to trigger different behavior.
Thanls your answer Jodie. And....wow what a relief! As I said Oli does get into these strange moods every now and again.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't let him sit in the sun for too long, Gillian, he may overheat.
Make sure he has lots of soaks in your hot dry climate, I have to do the same.
Thanks your advice Adam.

Oli is the one who wants to sit in the sun, maybe to get a sun tan! I don't place him there believe me. As for soaks well I soak him in warm water at least twice daily, during Summer. Thanks your help Adam.