Tort Is Very Inactive-Please Help!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
That's a little drastic. (expensive) You don't have a heat lamp?
I guess I take a lot for granted. It's like close to 90 outside here today.
Yes it definitely is expensive, but we all know what it means to have a pet, particularly a cute tort that needs very warm temperatures.

I do have a heat lamp, but it does not seem to be enough believe me. Jordan's climate is....desert climate with freezing cold Winter and...snowstorms, while in Summer the weather is boiling hot, and we're deprived Autumn and Spring.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
One thing I forgot, sorry: we've had two snowstorms this Winter, and even during those freezing cold days, my tort never "behaved" in such a way. Strange, isn't it?

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
My Greek Graecus is in something of a funk as well. I live here in South Texas, so snow storms are something we're accustomed to seeing in pictures, but I can relate. During the winter months this year, he was fine. All the way through. Sat under his basking bulb for a few too many stretches, but this was always punctuated by a flurry of activity to indicate his displeasure with the size of his indoor enclosure (for him, six by six circular is small, given that his outdoor run has now been expanded to eight by twenty).

But yes, he was feeding regularly and showing his displeasure at the confines of his indoor setup. I get him outdoors periodically for a good part of February (when the weather isn't dipping into the forties and fifties and pouring chilling rain), and he was doing very well. Where there was sun, he was having fun. But now, things are starting to rise into the lower eighties here, and in the area of his enclosure that receives full sun against a cinder block wall, that spot is climbing to near ninety. Yesterday, when conditions were just beautiful, he decided to be a stick in the mud and spend the day dug into the dirt of his shelter. Two of my little margies did the same exact thing. All this despite the fact that all my big margies and most of my little ones spent the day frolicking like they hadn't a care in the world. I was worried about those three. But today, each one of them decided to take to the field, grazing and moving about their respective enclosures with no problems.

Despite the fact that I've had Graecus for over two decades now, and despite the fact that for him, this is sort of a regular thing in the spring time, I still lose sleep over it. In point of fact, I do believe that the fact that I've grown up beside him has made my worrying over him all the worse. So, it isn't something that gets better, I'm sorry to say, but it is something that one comes to expect, and that's worth something, I've gotta figure.

T.G.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Maybe your tort is a little under the weather. I find mine seems to make it through what ever illness it may be starting to get if I warm up its enclosure for a week or two. If you can maybe combine a heat lamp with covering the enclosure with foil or something to keep the heat in, it may help the tort get over any illness that may be trying to take hold. This always works for mine. Particularly keep the heat much higher than you normally would at night. I see you operate in Celsius, so please convert my numbers. I would aim for 82 ish for both day and night.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My Tidgy is a Greek, Gillian, and like you, I worry about her terribly every time there is a change in her behaviour or eating habits. it really frightens me sometimes. I have had her sit and do nothing for a day or two when she is usually fairly active outside and it never ceases to make me anxious.
But I have learned that she has her mood-swings, changes in habit, and minor illnesses and it's nothing to worry about it.
People say, 'Don't worry', but of course we do, we're human and love our tortoises. It means you care.
But also be advised that our worry is usually misplaced and everything will be fine tomorrow or the next day.
After that, well then action may be necessary. For now, try to relax. (He says knowing how hard it is.)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Maybe your tort is a little under the weather. I find mine seems to make it through what ever illness it may be starting to get if I warm up its enclosure for a week or two. If you can maybe combine a heat lamp with covering the enclosure with foil or something to keep the heat in, it may help the tort get over any illness that may be trying to take hold. This always works for mine. Particularly keep the heat much higher than you normally would at night. I see you operate in Celsius, so please convert my numbers. I would aim for 82 ish for both day and night.
Thanks your alert and no problem as per your mistake.

I don't think it's the weather: there's been a rise in temperature and it's relatively warm here, the central heating system is on and my tort has a heat lamp. I have a strong feeling that even torts get into bad moods. Thanks your help and advice.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Thanks your alert and no problem as per your mistake.

I don't think it's the weather: there's been a rise in temperature and it's relatively warm here, the central heating system is on and my tort has a heat lamp. I have a strong feeling that even torts get into bad moods. Thanks your help and advice.
I agree about moods!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks your alert and your concern Jacqui :) .

There's been a slight change with my tort's mood today thank GOD. After I fed it and soaked it this morning, I allowed it to roam around the place. Yesterday it had refused to move, whilst today it moved around....AT LAST! What a relief it was. This confirms that it is not the weather: temperature today is like it was yesterday, day and night alike. I've a strong feeling that even torts gets into "bad moods."

Many thanks your alert as well as your question, again. Appreciate both.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You bet. The naughty little thing drove me nuts :confused: believe me!
I have no doubt, mine do the same to me. I always sweat it when I tell somebody to relax, give it some time. Always afraid they will come on next saying the tortoise has gotten really sick or worse has died.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Great news Jillian!
To worry about our pets is normal.
Thanks a lot Zeropilot.

Oh yes, it is normal to worry about a pet, particularly when one gets so attached to it. I for one have fallen in :<3: love with my tort:tort: !

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My tort got into a bad "mood' :( once again today, GOD only knows why. It did eat, after which I soaked it in warm water. It pooped ok, after which IT JUST WOULD NOT MOVE. I left it outside its enclosure, but no way would it move! By mere chance the weather is extremely warm: maximum temperature has reached 24 degrees Celcius in Amman (before an expected snowstorm), soI do not think it's the weather. Am I to ignore such "behaviour" as I was previously adviced, unless it goes on? :confused:

Your help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Impossible to say for sure, but probably just a sulky mood day. It's pooped and eaten, which is good, so just relax and hope he's happier tomorrow. It's too early to worry. Sometimes, I think they can sense an oncoming storm. I'm certain Tidgy does, she rushes around for a long time and then finds somewhere to hide. Maybe your tort is just waiting for the storm to pass.
I expect it'll be fine.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Impossible to say for sure, but probably just a sulky mood day. It's pooped and eaten, which is good, so just relax and hope he's happier tomorrow. It's too early to worry. Sometimes, I think they can sense an oncoming storm. I'm certain Tidgy does, she rushes around for a long time and then finds somewhere to hide. Maybe your tort is just waiting for the storm to pass.
I expect it'll be fine.
Thanks you prompt answer Adam. Appreciate it.

Personally I do not think that torts can sense a storm (with all my respect to what came in your alert). Let alone that, it is stilll very warm today: temperature has not even dropped one single degree yet. I'm trying to relax, while my tort has just fallen asleep.