Tortoise Very Inactive-Please Help.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Just as a friend and outside observer, I'd say that Oli goes through these cycles. He has done this before and each time he ends up just fine.
There is really no typical behavior for all tortoises and it sounds like Oli is being himself.

Avoid grapes.
Oh yes, he does get into these moods-funny moods-every now and then, after which things go back to normal.

I have never fed Oli grapes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You really do need to find a way to give him a better diet. The one you are using now is not good. You will have to realize that if he was in the wild, he would be eating a better diet and more variety. You will just have to get tuff and trick him into eating more and better things. It's not that hard, but it is your duty as his owner to feed more appropriate things. Buy the greens that you would eat. Spring mix, dandelion, endive, escarole, grasses, weeds, etc. chop them up small and also chop up small the stuff he is eating now. Spritz with water. As he eats, he will have to eat the new stuff to get the old stuff. As time goes in, slowly remove the old stuff that is not as good for him and add more of the better stuff, and so on. I understand you don't have as much available, but can you not order seeds and foods online and have them shipped?

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Another idea for calcium is crushed egg shell. I don't know if you have access to organic eggs in Jordan? Don't use factory farmed eggs because who knows what went into the chicken to create that.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Another idea for calcium is crushed egg shell. I don't know if you have access to organic eggs in Jordan? Don't use factory farmed eggs because who knows what went into the chicken to create that.
Thanks very much your advice.

You cannot imagine what this place is as far as animals/pets are concerned. Only farm eggs are available here, believe it or not!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi all. My beloved tort (Oli) has been extremely inactive recently. He is eating well, but that's about all. He either sits in his 'favourite corner' of the flat, as if hiding, or moves towards the balcony, stretches his hind legs and just remains there hours on end. He's been there for the past THREE HOURS or so.

I do know that when a tort streches it hind legs it is relaxed, but isn't Oli over-doing it somehow? He usually roams around the place happily, once he's out of his enclosure. I even took him out for a 'walk' a couple of days ago. I thought he'e enjoy it, as he usually does. However, he would not move a mm. I gave him time and a lot of time, thinking: 'He might change his mind', but NO WAY would he move! So I picked him up and returned home after one whole hour. Wow....patience, patence, patience!

Any advice and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Hi gillian. Can you order some seeds off of the eBay. Like mixed lettuce/rocket/ edible flowers and start a growing cycle of small stuff on your balcony or in your flat near windows.

Miggymeister

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Thanks very much your advice.

You cannot imagine what this place is as far as animals/pets are concerned. Only farm eggs are available here, believe it or not!
WHY CAN"T THEY HAVE GRAPES?????????? I gave Camelot a bunch of grapes a month ago. Could this have made her sick? They were seedless. Also she won't touch her cuttlebone and hasn't for 4 years.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
WHY CAN"T THEY HAVE GRAPES?????????? I gave Camelot a bunch of grapes a month ago. Could this have made her sick? They were seedless. Also she won't touch her cuttlebone and hasn't for 4 years.
Frankly I do not know why torts shouldn't be given grapes.But I applied it: better be safe than sorry.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You really do need to find a way to give him a better diet. The one you are using now is not good. You will have to realize that if he was in the wild, he would be eating a better diet and more variety. You will just have to get tuff and trick him into eating more and better things. It's not that hard, but it is your duty as his owner to feed more appropriate things. Buy the greens that you would eat. Spring mix, dandelion, endive, escarole, grasses, weeds, etc. chop them up small and also chop up small the stuff he is eating now. Spritz with water. As he eats, he will have to eat the new stuff to get the old stuff. As time goes in, slowly remove the old stuff that is not as good for him and add more of the better stuff, and so on. I understand you don't have as much available, but can you not order seeds and foods online and have them shipped?
Thanks your advice.

A couple of members at the forum have offered to send me special tort diet which is NOT available here, whether we like it or not.. Hope it works, and I'm EXTREMELY THANKFUL to them.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think grapes have too much sugar for most species of tortoises good health.
Maybe an occasional grape for a Redfoot?
Hi Ed. What of a grape or two for Oli? He's Greek by the way. He still refuses to move!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Gillian I know embarrassingly little about your species of tortoise but I would guess that if he ate a single grape he'd be fine.
Better wait on the collective to either agree or not.
I heard that they are actually very bad for dogs to eat. Maybe there is a connection.
Also, I never have actually ever fed my torts grapes.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Ed. What of a grape or two for Oli? He's Greek by the way. He still refuses to move!
Grapes I believe are high in sugar, however I give them my reds a treat once in a while. Only a couple at a time. maybe twice a week, i hand feed them with them. But reds are fruit eaters.
Personally I can't see 1 or 2 grapes harming your tort as a treat.
When was the last time he ate something.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Gillian I know embarrassingly little about your species of tortoise but I would guess that if he ate a single grape he'd be fine.
Better wait on the collective to either agree or not.
I heard that they are actually very bad for dogs to eat. Maybe there is a connection.
Also, I never have actually ever fed my torts grapes.
Thanks Ed. I have not had enough courage to feed Oli even one grape. But I did feed him cooked carrots which he loved. And even here a member told me not to, as carrots are too sweet.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Grapes I believe are high in sugar, however I give them my reds a treat once in a while. Only a couple at a time. maybe twice a week, i hand feed them with them. But reds are fruit eaters.
Personally I can't see 1 or 2 grapes harming your tort as a treat.
When was the last time he ate something.
Hi. Oli ate very little Roman lettuce this morning, and a little more a few minutes ago. I've soaked him THREE TIMES so far.

Thanks your advice and help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since I don't know the names of the veggies and greens sold in your country, I thought I would be smart and do a Google image search for "Produce stands in Amman". But now I see why you're having so much trouble finding the right kinds of food for your tortoise. All of the pictures that showed up in my search show the fruit, but not greens.

DSC_0976-1-ed-sm.jpg

Just more pictures like this one.

I'm sorry. I tried to help, but I'm at a loss as to what to tell you.