Tort Is Very Inactive-Please Help!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
My Greek tort has been very inactive today, since it woke up this morning. Although it's nice and warm today, and temperature reached 20 degrees Celcius here, my tort just would not move. It ate well, I soaked it in warm water (which I do daily), and it pooped ok-no more diahrrea.

At about 1pm-the sun was striking-I took my tort out for "a walk" in the sun.This I've done ever since I've had my tort, when the weather warms up. Usually my tort enjoys this and roams around, plays, and so on after which we return home. However, today it did not enjoy "the walk" much. It just stood there like a log. I waited patiently thinking: "It'll soon move, it'll soon start roaming aroung," but.....no way. After almost one hour, we returned home, and I gave my tort yet another soak after which it fell asleep immediately.

I woul very much appreciate an explanation this inactivity during warm weather. Thank you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Gillian, I hope that it's just a passing thing with your tort. I would...and do also worry and it's almost always about nothing.
Thanks a lot your alert, which did comfort me somehow. I do wonder: "Do torts get into these strange moods for no reason whatsover?" Appreciate you answer Zeropilot and once again thanks your help.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Any improvement? Is he eating?
Many thanks your alert. Yes, my tort has been eating well thank GOD. I guess it's the sudden rise in temperature here. However, when temperature rises my tort usually becomes extremely active. And when we go out for the said "walk" it just does not stop roaming around, playing around etc., in the sun. What on earth happened today I do not know, and sincerely hope somebody in the forum can help me here, as it is really worrying me.

At the moment my tort is wide awake. It ate once again, but did not move a centimetre!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would not rush him to the Vet myself. Lets give him a little time. He is eating which to me is always a relief action. Did you say what the inside temp is?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Once again thanks somuch your help. How long amI to wait?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I would not rush him to the Vet myself. Lets give him a little time. He is eating which to me is always a relief action. Did you say what the inside temp is?
Appreciate your prompt answers and help Jaqui. Outside temperature was (repeat was) 20 degrees Celcius and at the moment with central heating on (it's 7:20pm here now), room temperature is 27 degrees Celcius. Is that not enough?

Thank you so much your help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Appreciate your prompt answers and help Jaqui. Outside temperature was (repeat was) 20 degrees Celcius and at the moment with central heating on (it's 7:20pm here now), room temperature is 27 degrees Celcius. Is that not enough?

Thank you so much your help.
That's 81 degrees fahrenheit. I would think that to be just marginal. But acceptable.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'd give it a day or two and look for continued improvement. But act immediately if the symptoms get worse. ( With a vet)
If he acts more and more normal, relax.
Fair enough, I'll wait a couple of days, hoping that my tort gets better. Thanks Zeropilot!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A warmer temp might get things moving inside, especially if he perhaps needs to digest food, pass a stool or even something else he may have eaten. If he is getting sick, it could speed up other symptoms for showing or even if just suffering from a slight sickness help with getting iver it before it gets worse.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warmer temp might get things moving inside, especially if he perhaps needs to digest food, pass a stool or even something else he may have eaten. If he is getting sick, it could speed up other symptoms for showing or even if just suffering from a slight sickness help with getting iver it before it gets worse.
OK. I've raised temperature of cental heating system, but it's going to take a bit of time till room temperature rises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
OK. I've raised temperature of cental heating system, but it's going to take a bit of time till room temperature rises.
That's a little drastic. (expensive) You don't have a heat lamp?
I guess I take a lot for granted. It's like close to 90 outside here today.