Greek Tortoise - need help moving outdoors

s16dike

Hello! We have a nearly 8 year old Greek Tortoise named Zeus. He has always lived indoors and had significant space to roam. But we still think he would be happier outside and have always hoped to transition him into an enclosure we would build. We now have a good size side yard we want to put him in but just want to be sure we are doing the right thing. We live in Northern California, so we do get rain and some cooler temps at times during the winter and some decent heat in the summer, but overall the weather is nice. Please, please, please, any help to make this transition successful would be much appreciated. We are looking to do this ASAP.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
If it gets too cold and you put them out there he may want to hibernate. Check out the enclosure section for some ideas, there are some great ones out there. Hopefully some Northern California people will chime in to give you specifics for your climate.I think your tortoise will love being outside, they seem to pep up when you put them out.I would keep the indoor enclosure also for when the weather gets too bad.

s16dike

If we have a waterproof house for him, would he be able to endure cold and rain? Also, do we need to provide an outdoor heat source besides just a cozy house?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I wouldn't put my greeks out this time of year . I would put him out in the spring let him have summer and then leave him out as the days get shorter he will less and then Evan less and then stop eating and then go to sleep and his stomice will be empty for the winter . But this is only my way .

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I would think that you would need an outside heat source or at least a very well insulated little house. I agree with grandpa turtle, I would wait until next spring. You can spend all winter building a great pen and then he can transition naturally to the cold weather. I wouldn't take the chance that he could end up sick. just my opinion.