greeks or hermanns or russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
hey im new to this site.. my names joby and im a hardcore tortoise hobbyist. i have redfoots... sulcatas.. and i plan on getting one other species.. ive read and researched so much about greeks and hermanns and russians.. and i honestly dont know which would be the best breed for me to get. could i have some like pros and cons of people than own these breeds of tortoises? also besides kingsnake as a way of getting tortoises.. is there anyone on here that breeds the tortoises i mention? let me know...![/font]

S

stells

I have a soft spot for the greeks although i do keep all 3 species you have mentioned :)
Danny (egyptiandan) has some lovely Turkish greeks for sale on page 2 of the for sale section ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jobenator: There are folks here on the forum who breed and raise babies from all three of those types of tortoise. Welcome to the forum, and good luck in your quest.

Yvonne

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Of the three species you've mentioned, I've only kept Hermann's. They are incredibly personable creatures, and highly recommended. The same may be true for Russians and Greeks. Your best bet is to get an animal that's captive bred rather than wild caught.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah ive always heard hermanns are good pets... anyone on here selling baby hermanns or greeks?

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
ohh nice im very interested! well since you breed them which breed do you prefer? i kinda want them both ....

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I like both of them :D I just have more greeks than hermanns. :p
The only real difference is size, with the hermanns staying smaller than the greeks.

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They are both just as personable. They all beg for food. :D Yes I have indoor enclosures for the hatchlings and yearlings. Right now they are in underbed storage containers that are 31" X 12" X 6".

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes both hermanns are available :D
1 of the larger Turkish greeks is available :D
and 4 of the smaller Turkish greeks are available :D

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have fostered a Sully, a Russian and DTs and I own Greeks. Greeks are my fav. I just love their personalities. I have hatchlings that come when they hear my voice "The food God" My adults are WC and it took some time to socialize them. My species of Greeks Do Not hibernate so they are inside during the winter months. That's when you really see their personalities.
Some things to take into consideration are;
Do you want or need a tort that hibernates?
You should not combine different species of torts, so you need a separate pen if you decide to get another species.
Russians, Herman’s and Greeks are smaller torts so should be protected from predators From above and beneath.
Which ever you choose I am sure you will love them and give them the best care you can.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah ive always wanted greeks or hermanns. do the hermanns hibernate? and what species of greek hibernate? is that the species that you are selling danny?:p

TortGirl

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I am awaiting the arrival of 2 of the baby Greeks from Danny on July 22. They will be my first Greeks. From everything that I have read on the internet and on this forum, I decided that they will be a good fit for me. But then who can resist baby torts?

The Turkish Greeks that Danny has for sale right now do hibernate. I did read that they do not have to hibernate every winter.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
alright so how big are the golden greeks you have for sale? and do the hermann tortoises know to hibernate or should you get them ready to hibernate every year?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The Golden greeks are 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" :D
The Hermanns you need to get them ready to hibernate. Here's a great guide to doing that. http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/ In the menu on the left click on hibernation.

Danny

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
alright cool! so the golden greeks dont need to hibernate? if not im very interested since that breed of greek tortoise is gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies.