Greens only

Gertrude

Location (City and/or State)
Devon
My horsefield is 1year old and will only eat anything green how can I help her eat other foods I:e veg occasionally fruit etc etc. Your thoughts please.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome Gertude!

It sounds like you got your tortoise from a knowledgeable breeder; green leaves should be the vast majority of a horsefield’s diet. What kinds of foods are you thinking about? Lots of food references for tortoises are out of date, even from sources that should know better. I often see British owners being referred to vegetables such as carrots, capsicum (sweet pepper), broccoli, and sweet corn; these are not good foods for a horsefield’s. You tortoise shouldn’t have fruit, ever.

Some vegetables are good in moderation or on occasion: summer squash; winter squash/pumpkin; cucumber; sweet potato/yam. The occasional green bean or a few peas. You shouldn’t have much trouble getting a tortoise to eat these, normally. But if you do, you can just great a little onto the regular food and introduce it that way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My horsefield is 1year old and will only eat anything green how can I help her eat other foods I:e veg occasionally fruit etc etc. Your thoughts please.

Chop up the greens and spray them with some water. Grate or mince a tiny amount of the new stuff and mix it in with the old favorites. Over time increase the ratio of old stuff to new.

I agree with Rosemary that your tortoise should never be eating fruit.

Gertrude

Devon
Hi I was just wondering. If my tortoise poops on me is this a sign of stress? Or relaxation? Great full for a reply thank you.