Greetings from Germany

J.T.

Location (City and/or State)
Berlin, Germany
Hi, my name is J.T. (Pronounced Jay Tee), I'm 25 years old and there's really not that much to say about me. I own two Hermann's Tortoises that I got this Febuary. They both hatched in summer 2014.

I signed up to this forum here because I've never kept a reptile before and I will need some advice every now and then. Unfortunately I live in Germany and people are quite strict here about how tortoises should be kept and if you have a different opinion about it they will be quick to say your being cruel to your pet. Not something that's very helpful when you're really trying your best to give your new friends a good home.

Anyway I hope this is enough of an introduction and I'm looking foreward to comunicating with other tortoise owners!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, J.T. and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your Hermann's.
Firstly, it is not good to keep tortoises in pairs. They will struggle for supremacy, food, the best basking spot and territory.
They are solitary animals who don't require friends.
As they get older they are going to need separate enclosures, or one of them is going to end up bullied, stressed and ill.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
Also, have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
for lots of useful information.
I see your tort likes the TV.
When he gets older he'll learn to face in the right direction!
Or, if it's anything like Moroccan TV maybe he IS facing the right way.
Nice to meet you.

J.T.

Berlin, Germany
Thanks for replying! We never actually meant to get two torts, but we saw an add online with the two little torts being kept in a tiny glass tank with no water dish or uv light at all and we couldn't help ourselves... :(
So far they don't really pay much attention to eachother. Sometimes they sleep together, sometimes they don't. Same with the time they spend under their basking spot. I feed them on a slate tile outside their enclosure after soaking them and make seperate piles for them. I also thought female torts get along well? (We were told they were incubated at a higher tepersture to make it more likely they'll turn out female... Gracie got an extra scute for the trouble)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You may be lucky, but probably not.
Pairs are not good.
Sometimes multiples of one male and a group of females can work if you have space, but these two will almost certainly stress each other out, sooner or later.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jay Tee!!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum, J.T. You will find lots of useful information here. We love to see pictures of torts, so if you have a few please post them for us. Thanks.

J.T.

Berlin, Germany
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Pictures? Sure thing! I'd also love your opinion on their shell. I know it's still pretty early but since I'm new to this it's hard for me to recognize if they're starting to develop some pyramiding or if they're compleatly fine.

This little lady here is Gracie image.jpg

And here we have the lovely Ms. Marple
image.jpg