Greetings from The Last Frontier!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I am in Spokane WA. Our summers are a bit warmer than yours, still too cold at night, but my Leopards have to be inside for winter, at least 4 months a year. It is definitely a challenge and certainly expensive to keep them, but it can be done. It's not too bad when they are little. They need temps of at least 80F, and a large tortoise needs a bedroom size enclosure. If you can do this the go for it.
I have Russians as well. They are characters. More out going usually and a lot easier. Especially to feed Since they can be hibernated for winter. It costs me about 25 dollars a week to feed my 20 pound leopard in winter for grocery greens, cactus, supplements, all the plants i grow inside and hay.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Not from Alaska, but I do dream of going up for your light show in the sky. ;) Any how, just wanted to say hi and to welcome you. :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome. I did spend 20 yrs in Alaska. Now in So Florida.

The biggest issues there are heat/ light / & humidity. Just about everything is a challenge for torts

Enclosed chamber will be a MUST as you can't keep humidity high enough there.

Putting them outside will be rare. I wouldn't unless air temps are 70 and then put them in the Sun

You'll need the right bulbs and heat. Follow set up threads for these.

If you stay in Alaska long term. Need to stick with ones that don't get too big. Stay away fro Leopards , Sulcatta or Aldabra.

Good luck :)
Mike

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. Check out the species specific section to give you a general idea of tortoise size and care. The Mediterranean species like Russians, Greeks, and Hermans are great. read foots don't get as big as leopards but they need much more humidity then many species. box turtles are also a great option. There are many species that I am not familiar with that I'm sure would also work for you. with all the beautiful wildlife in Alaska you won't be able to keep your tortoise outside alone anyway, and definitely not overnight matter what the weather. you were dealing with wildlife on a much bigger scale then most of us are used to. Makes raccoons look like nothing :)
Your initial set up costs are going to be high, especially because you will be paying and Dean on artificial light and heat and humidity for basically the entire year. but once you get it set up it will be great. I would highly suggest getting a temperature gun and a solar meter 6.5 UV index model. This will allow you to keep very accurate track of the UVB your animal is getting.
You have come to a great place. Research this site, ask a lot of questions, and please keep us updated. And don't forget pictures, we love the pictures.