Growing food, wrong soil?

Bethanrs

Location (City and/or State)
Wales uk
Hello, I recently planted some seeds to provide more variety of food for my tortoise. I planted them in this soil
I’ve recently read you can’t use some soils. Does it mean my plants won’t be any good for feeding? Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I recently planted some seeds to provide more variety of food for my tortoise. I planted them in this soil
I’ve recently read you can’t use some soils. Does it mean my plants won’t be any good for feeding? Thanks
That is not soil. Its compost mixed with peat. As long as there are no pesticides or other toxic chemicals in it, food that grows in it should be fine to feed out. I wouldn't use it for substrate, or let the tortoise have direct access to the soil.

Bethanrs

Wales uk
That is not soil. It’s compost mixed with peat. As long as there are no pesticides or other toxic chemicals in it, food that grows in it should be fine to feed out. I wouldn't use it for substrate, or let the tortoise have direct access to the soil.
Great! I call everything that looks like dirt soil 😂😂 sorry! No I use coco coir as substrate , this is just for growing food in an area of the garden to pick for feeding. Thankyou!

Reactions: Tom