Growing Grass for Sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utica. MI
So, my indoor sully eats a lot, and we feed him/her a lot too, but me and my boyfriend also work a lot, we feed him in the morning and when we get home, but i feel thats a long time for him to go without eating, so i want to grow some grass, or ground covering for him.

I have 2 large round dishes from home depot, just plastic containers to grow stuff in for him, i figure we can give him one and let him feast on that while the other one grows and we switch back and forth.

He loves clovers, but i also need something that can grow very fast, and in large quantities, like grass, he loves grass and its pretty hard to kill grass completely lol i need something a long the lines of that, i already have pesticide- and herbicide-free grass for him, but i know a variety is better, so what else should i get for him? Ive also heard that vines/ivy are good for him, but i know only certain kinds, anybody know about that?

so overall, what would be fast growing and something that he would love and easy to maintain?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Chia seeds grow pretty fast.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
would chia seed be alright for him to eat? i dont want it to be processed or anything like that.

i just want to make sure he can eat Salvia hispanica, do you think it will be okay for him?

i see that it would be alright for him, do you know of any place i could get some online for cheap?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
chia seeds are fine, they come in the carolina pet supply grazing tortoise seed mix. Their are many places to get the seeds online, carolinapetsupply.com or search ebay. the grazing tortoise seed mix sprounts up very fast, itll be 3 inches tall in under a week.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Toledo Ohio
My sully is in a 4x8 tortoise table I made of plywood. In the bottom I used a jig saw and cut the dimensions of a small kitty litter pan out. With about a half a dozen kitty litter pans, I use potting soil and cheap grass seed to grow grass in them. When the time is right I slip one into the hole I cut into the floor, so it’s level with the substrate, and let him graze naturally. I can swap them in and out after he’s done tearing the grass and soil up. You’d be surprised how many times I have to keep replanting though. For not being able to kill grass, sullies do a pretty good job. Since we can’t fertilize the soil from fear of harming the tort, the grass sucks the nutrient out of my potting soil and it can’t be replenished.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
go to your local nursery and get thier Pasture grass seed mix and plant that in trays..
When will he be able to live outside?

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
could you post a picture of your enclosure? that sounds almost exactly what i wanna build for him,

and to Laura, he cant live outside until we are out of our apartment =\

bfmorris

5 Year Member
IRTehDuckie said:
So, my indoor sully eats a lot, and we feed him/her a lot too, but me and my boyfriend also work a lot, we feed him in the morning and when we get home, but i feel thats a long time for him to go without eating, so i want to grow some grass, or ground covering for him.

I have 2 large round dishes from home depot, just plastic containers to grow stuff in for him, i figure we can give him one and let him feast on that while the other one grows and we switch back and forth.

He loves clovers, but i also need something that can grow very fast, and in large quantities, like grass, he loves grass and its pretty hard to kill grass completely lol i need something a long the lines of that, i already have pesticide- and herbicide-free grass for him, but i know a variety is better, so what else should i get for him? Ive also heard that vines/ivy are good for him, but i know only certain kinds, anybody know about that?

so overall, what would be fast growing and something that he would love and easy to maintain?

Winter Rye is a good one to try.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Toledo Ohio
IRTehDuckie said:
could you post a picture of your enclosure? that sounds almost exactly what i wanna build for him,

and to Laura, he cant live outside until we are out of our apartment =\

These pics are from my phone as I was building it. Hope they come through I havent downloaded pics before.

Attachments

• sams house ramp and belocony closed.jpg
    sams house ramp and belocony closed.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 124
  • sams house ramp and belocony open.jpg
    sams house ramp and belocony open.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 113
  • sams house rocks in place.jpg
    sams house rocks in place.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 83
  • finsihed.jpg
    finsihed.jpg