Growing grass

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Been forever since I've been on here.
Anyway, I've been wanting to fix my lawn up a bit. Right now, it's mostly weeds, a little bit of grass, unlevel. When I put Penelope and Tuukka in their pins, I gotta put bricks around them just to cover the holes up. Pretty annoying and the lawn is a bit of an eye sore at the moment. Bout time I did something with it. I have zero experience with growing grass. I want to get rid of all the weeds and grow new grass. What should be the first step I do? And what type of grass would be best? And also how long would it take for it to start growing? Might be a long shot but I'd like to be able to put the torts outside when the weather starts getting warmer. Not sure if it would grow in time for that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well, if you have determined that the weeds you want to get rid of are not good tortoise food then you will want to section your yard (transection if you will, so you do not take on too much at one time) into manageable spaces....you will need to know what is there, so you can place a sprinkler on the selected area and wait a couple days, then pull out by the roots what grows (since you will have already determined yes leave tortoise food weeds or no, no food here....then move onto the next section....while keeping an eye on the areas you already spot checked/handled...

Then you will want to till the soil, level it out, plant/spread seed, then lightly cover it (keep an eye out for overhead eyes watching you spread the seeds, birds are fantastic at finding this out and will eat your seeds once you turn your back...lol...) with soil and immediately water it well, not flooding, but well....and keep it watered/moist for the first 2 weeks...then adjust accordingly.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
We have a very small yard. We live in a duplex right now for the next year, year and a half. Working towards a home but not only would I like to have a nicer looking yard, I'd also like to have better grass for the torts to graze on as well. I'd say between driveways, the yard is about 10 yards wide (if that) and maybe 15-20 yards to the street. Pretty small. I'd probably just pull the weeds up with my hands, but what to do after that I don't know. Especially what type of grass to grow

prelyt

5 Year Member
Southern California
You can find grass seed mixes that are prepared with tortoise consumption in mind. Check out tortoisesupply.com and see what kind of seed mixed they sell, also there is a sticky thread here called sulcata diet sheet and it lists the grass types tortoises love.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, I encourage weed in my lawn. The weeds are much better for the tortoises than the grass.

Since you can't use week killers or you'll poison your tortoises, then you'll have to sit out there and actually pull the weeds.

But, really, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, a section of lawn that is full of dandelion and other edible weeds is a thing of beauty!

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
I know weeds are good for them and all, but it's not only the grass, it's the yard. It's unlevel and lumpy. In the warmer weather, I keep them in their pins all day but I have to put bricks all around just to cover the gaps up. I'd like to kinda level the yard a bit as well. And I've been looking at this tortoise seed mix from Carolina pet supply. Could I use something like that for the whole yard?
Here's the link

http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=179

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
That could work for the whole yard. The grasses do grow tall and the clovers are tall too. If your tortoise is young (or even if not) he might go for some of the testudo mix from TortoiseSupply.com.
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

I have both of these planted and they have done well. Another seed mix I have used and like very much is a horse pasture mix from Peaceful Valley Farms.
http://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html
This produces a lot of grass.

If you order from Carolina Pet Supply get a packet of Plantain seeds.
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=141
You can put these in the lawn or grow them in pots. I started mine in pots and transplanted them to the lawn. Very good nutrition for sulcata. Also, get some of the opuntia cactus pads ( I think that tortoisesupply.com has them and Carolina Pet Supply) and start at least two of these in pots. A year from now, when they are producing new pads, they will be your sulcata's favorite food. Two may not be enough. I have four and it barely feeds my 4 year old.

So yes, you can plant your lawn with tortoise food.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Cool deal. Penelope is almost 2 and tuukka is 1.
Like I said, we have a small yard so im sure we won't need much of the stuff and I could do the whole yard with that seed mix. And I'll definitely have to grow some more things in pots for them. Now how long would it take for this stuff to grow to a point they can graze and all that?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Carolina Boy said:
Cool deal. Penelope is almost 2 and tuukka is 1.
Like I said, we have a small yard so im sure we won't need much of the stuff and I could do the whole yard with that seed mix. And I'll definitely have to grow some more things in pots for them. Now how long would it take for this stuff to grow to a point they can graze and all that?

With fair weather it should sprout in a couple of weeks. So, my guess is about 6-8 weeks before you let them loose on it. If they are easily pulling it up by the roots then it is too soon.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
I've used the Carolina supply grass seed mixes, I've also just poured out bags of old bird seed in the yard, both will sprout in just 2 or three nights of the temps are warm and they have been watered.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You may want to get some compost to leval your yard and to fertilize your new lawn . It your dession but remember you can use regular fertilizers

Sorry cannt use reg. fertilizers